TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Teaching my Z Parking Lot Manners.
People Seeking Info

Subject Teaching my Z Parking Lot Manners.

Posted by Cjw3 on May 24, 2015 at 1:57 PM
  This message has been viewed 324 times.

Message My Daily Driver Z ( presently ) is the '90 NA with a Transplanted '96 Drive line.. The ECU and cams are from the '90.

I've had a problem with this car, and I've posted about it here with no solve.. The problem is being "Pig Rich", just off idle.. It was to the point of 'Feathering' from a stop lite was a chore, lots of clutch slip involved in keeping it running.. as it wanted to Die if it was <1200 rpm when the clutch was engaged..

The '95 2+2 NA has what I refer to a 'Truck Motor'.. you have to work hard to kill it off of Idle, and the '92 2+0 NA is just what I'd call Normal.. So I was perplexed as to what the problem was with this car.. I was not able to find any differences to blame it on..

After getting some E-mail help from other Members here, I had what I thought was a good plan.. Today I went to solve this..

First I limited the 'Do not Alter' table of TTP MAX. I did this at the lower RPM range I was dealing with (500 to 1500 RPM ).. The Problem of rich got better.. I was on the right track.. This proved to me it was fuel I was feeling, and seeing, on the Narrowbands while using ECU Talk..

I left the TTP MAX table where I had modified it to ( as it was not a perfect fix ), then went after the Acceleration Fuel Enrichment Table..

Here is the Table Stock..
stock enrich photo KIMG0233_zpsnaa8ycrw.jpg

When I look at this table, I see a lot of fuel, just off Idle.. So I started whittling it a little in the .8 to 1.5 K RPM range, and things get better.. So I had what I thought was the proper table that was messing with my Off Idle Issues..

I then put the TTP Max table back to stock, and things stayed the same .. so that was good..

I then did a BUNCH of Idle/Clutch transitions.. and trimmed it a little more..

I then started working of the 'Close then Open' throttle fuel issues I was feeling in the 1500 to 2000 RPM range.. When I'd back off the throttle a little I could feel a 'Burble' in the engine as it was settling in RPM, then it'd 'Lurch' as I opened the throttle back a little..

So I started pulling fuel out of the higher range <2000 RPM.

This is the Table I ended up with..

Photobucket is being slow about Rotating properly.. it will change in time
96 enrich table photo KIMG0232_zps8irvg3fd.jpg

For the final test, I'd leave the car in gear and coast to 800 RPM.. then slowly roll into the throttle, and it behaved properly, I never could do that before..

Then the second test was to coast in gear to 800 RPM ( 1st or 2nd ) then Stab the throttle.. it would Stumble a little before.... this time it was smooth up in RPM..

I still have a little Drive Line Looseness ( it's in the Dif/Axles ) so I get a little lurch from the Slow/Fast transition.. I have a Replacement Rear Sub Frame Assembly hanging in the rafters.. But I want to save it for a different car..

I remember a Forum Poster talking about taking out a little Ignition Advance at the parking lot RPM Ranges to stop some of the Lurch.. I'll go there next..

Here is a Link that will have my Set up for ECU changes on the Fly..

[ http://www.twinturbo.net/nissan/300zx/forums/technical/view/1147286/Chipping-the-ECU.html ]

Cj

Follow Ups
  • Teaching my Z Parking Lot Manners. - Cjw3 13:57:59 05/24/15

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.