TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Oil plate and Coolant adapter install
People Seeking Info

Subject Oil plate and Coolant adapter install

Posted by bobZtwin (NC) on July 24, 2006 at 11:20 AM
  This message has been viewed 4165 times.

Message Recently I have performed several modifications and repairs to the Z and I decided to take photos of the majority of the work. In the process of installing a Defi Display Unit, I had to install the appropriate Coolant and Oil adapters. All of the pictured parts were purchased from Kuah at SPL Parts and I would like to thank him for his timely assistance during the past 4 to 5 months. I purchased these parts back in early March and I finally got around to putting them in within the past couple of weeks.

This post is meant only as a guide and I would hope that person's using it will practice common sense. This is a relatively easy install that should take only a couple of hours at the most. Preferably when Oil and Coolant is being changed. My car was on jack stands for 2 months so I was afforded plenty of time for this and other mods.

Box shots of the adapters and Display Unit

Coolant and Oil Temp., Oil and Fuel Pressure sensors

Mounting location of the Oil adapter plate. Yes, this area was cleaned prior to the install. I decided to leave the OEM sensor alone and not relocate it to the new unit.

Photo of the Oil Adapter plate instructions. Please note the fitting specs. I am not fluent in Japanese, but what little I could decipher from the back panel, it would appear that there are 2 each 1/8" PT (pipe thread?) ports and 1 each M14 ports. If you install Defi sensors, make sure the thread pitch is correct. I had to purchase 1/8" NPT tap and run it through both Oil ports, the Coolant adapter port and my Fuel pressure port in order for the sensors to fit well. Supposedly the Defi sensors and the adapters are supposed to be 1/8" BSPT but for some reason the sensors fit much better after running the tap through the ports. *For those who have not used a tap, make sure you do not turn the tap all the way through the port, these ports have a taper and running the tap all the way through is unnecessary and could potentially ruin the adapter.

Also note the diagram illustrating the install. It depicts the use of only one of the supplied O-rings between the adapter plate and the OEM filter tree. I decided to use both. If using both O-rings, use care when installing so the outer O-ring stays in place and does get distorted or pinched out from between the two surfaces.

Photo of the Coolant adapter and it's specifications?

Photo of 1/8"NPT tap used, purchased from Carquest.

Used to help secure Oil adapter O-rings in place. Please use sparingly, only used as a light adhesive and seal.

Once you have determined that all of the sensors fit their ports correctly, install them into the plate with Teflon tape. Make sure you clean out all of the passages on the plate prior to install. I used alcohol and compressed air since I had to use the tap in them. Also make sure to use Teflon tape on the additional M14 port if it remains unused. I assume that most other sensors on the market have interconnects that allow you to work with a short length of wire instead of one long cable going directly from the sensor to the gauge.

After several failed attempts to install the plate adapter in position without the outer O-ring squeezing out somewhere around the perimeter of the seal, I decided to put the plate in the freezer for about 20 to 30 minutes and then attempt install when the gasket maker was firm and held the O-rings in place much better. This approach was successful on the first attempt. I decided to mount the adapter with the sensors facing the front of the car.

Use the supplied "tool" in the adapter package to intially tighten the adapter in place. Use the appropriate size deep well socket afterwards to finish tightening if you need to feel a warm fuzzy, I don't blame you. Kuah assured me that the use of Loctite was not necessary on the threads and apparently he's correct. No leaks since the car has been running. We'll see what happens when I go to change the oil. Hopefully when I remove the spent oil filter, it won't back out the Adapter's fastener.

After the adapter plate is installed. Use an inspection mirror to look around the seal to make sure either O-ring is not out of place. The outer O-ring, in the case, can be seen around the entire perimeter of the seal. I was initially concerned about this but I have since become more comfortable with it since no problem has occured since. :/

Pictures with a *proper* Oil filter (ala YugoBernie) in place. ;)

This photo was taken after the coolant sensor was installed. Here's the "wedge" that I cut from the upper coolant pipe. The coolant adapter has a bend so I placed in a position that worked with the preformed Samco hose. This approach should also be used with the OEM black rubber hose I believe?

Here's a picture that I took while the raditator was out of the car. I ended up trimming another 1/4" of hose from the exposed end when I connected the radiator to the hose.

Finished.

Enjoy! Hopefully this be be useful to those persons investigating the use of additional sensors.

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.