TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Eibach Springs & Strut Installation/Replacement Writeup
People Seeking Info

Subject Eibach Springs & Strut Installation/Replacement Writeup

Posted by doug8867 on May 11, 2005 at 12:54 PM
  This message has been viewed 19124 times.

Message Search Terms: springs, spring, struts, strut, shocks, install, installation, installing, replace, replacing

Timing:
When your ride has become bouncy or bottoms out over minor bumps, and/or doesn't handle like it used to.

Tools Needed:
Strut spring compressor (can usually get a loaner for free from AutoZone, etc.)
Phillips Head screwdriver
8mm, 10mm, 14mm, 17mm, 19mm sockets
17mm, 19mm wrenches
1/2" ratchet
6" 1/2" extension
18" Breaker bar
Floor jack
Two 2" x 6" at least 10" long (for driving the front tires on to elevate the car so the floor jack can get under it from the front)
2 Jack stands
Bench Vise
Safety glasses

Recommended: Three 2x4s for use in propping wheel hub down for easier strut removal; 1 @ 5.5", 1 @15", and 1 approximately 5"

Parts Needed:

Note: part numbers listed were for my 90tt. Please double check with your vendor before ordering to make sure they apply to your year of car.

Front Parts:
Front Struts
Springs - if using Eibach springs part # ending in 01 goes on front
Front strut gasket (spacer) x 2 - part #54329- 33P00
strut insulator - right side - part # 54320- 30P00
strut insulator - left side - part # 54321- 30P00
dust boots x 2 - part # 54055-33P20
Shock brackets x 2 - part # 56115-33P50
Bumper stops x 2 - part # 54050-33P20

Rear Parts:
Rear struts
Springs - if using Eibach springs part # ending in 02 goes on rear
Upper Nismo bushing x 2 - part # 56217-RS580
Rear strut gasket x 2 part # 55338-35F00
Strut mounting bracket x 2 part # 55322-30P06
Rear spring seat x 2 - part # 55034-71L10
Rear Nismo insulator x 2 - part # 56218-RS580
Note: Dust boot and bumper covers come with the OEM rear struts

See Courtesyparts.com > Suspension for diagrams of these parts.

If you're considering using your old rubber parts with your new springs and struts, take a look at this pic of some of my old front strut parts.

< p>As you can see by the condition, I would highly recommend that you replace all rubber parts with new so you don't have to do the job again because you skimped on ~$100 worth of rubber parts.

Estimated Time to do job:
Allow ~6 - 8 hours including clean-up your first time with hand tools. An impact gun will make the job go quicker, but you still need to allow time for any stubborn bolts you may encounter. Rears will take longer then the fronts because of the extra time needed to remove/reinstall the interior trim.

Disclaimer:
Note some of the techniques listed in here to gain clearance for the strut assemblies are my own techniques that I found very quick and effective for the lone DIYer who may not have access to specialized tools or a strong helper. However, if you do not feel comfortable using them, then I recommend you devise something else.

Front Struts/Springs Removal and Installation
1. First, drive your car onto the pieces of wood or similar elevation. This is to allow room later for sliding the floor jack under the car from the front without hitting the spoiler. Set parking brake, then loosen the lug nuts on the front wheels using the breaker bar and the 21mm socket. Jack the car high enough to put jack stands under each side then finish removing the wheels.

2. Loosen the front sway bar bracket bolts (4) using the 6" extension and the 14mm socket. You should only need to remove the 2 opposite the U side of the bracket. This is to allow movement of the bar so that you can get a ratchet and socket on the lower strut bolt.

3. Pry off the plastic nut protector on the strut nut using a flathead screwdriver and also remove the 10mm bolt holding the brake line to the strut.

4. Remove the strut nut using the 17mm socket and ratchet

5. Move up to the engine bay. If you've got a tt, remove the two 8mm strut actuator bolts and the 17mm actuator bracket. Then remove the two 14mm mounting bolts. Leave the other 17mm nut alone as that's holding the spring tight.

6. Once you've got all the nuts removed you want to prop the wheel down to allow room to get the strut assembly out. The easiest way I found to do this is to get a helper (doesn't have to be anyone strong as my 11 year old daughter helped me) so could be a girlfriend, wife, passing stranger, etc.

Stand on the brake caliper to put your weight on it, then have your helper insert the pieces of wood as shown. You may have to bounce slightly on it to gain enough clearance for the 5 1/2" board to be inserted perpendicular but it shouldn't take too much effort. Obviously, the helper needs to take extra care in keeping their fingers clear of the springs and the pieces of wood so that nothing gets pinched if something should slip. Also make sure the bottom horizontal board is positioned so as not to impede the removal of the spring assembly once everything is propped up.

< p>7. Once you've got it propped up the strut will drop down and you'll be able to dislodge it from the bottom strut bolt by hitting it with your hand. After the bottom is clear of the bolt, wiggle and manuever the spring assembly out, taking care not catch it in the brake lines.

If you are reusing the strut nut, washer, metal spacer, etc. you will need to disassemble the assembly. But before you do, count the threads showing above the strut nut. Also look at the angle of the mounting bolts in relation to the strut. I used the brake line bracket as a reference point. You will need to install the new one in the same orientation so that the mounting bolts fit thru the holes in the chassis.

Also, if you're reinstalling OEM tt shocks, also take note of the orientation of the flat side of strut threads so that you can rotate the new one to face the same direction. Take a pic with your digital camera or draw a picture if you need help remembering!

8. Next, put on some safety glasses, wrap the bottom of the assembly with a rag to prevent scratching it, and squeeze it in your vice, then apply the spring compressors as shown. Make sure your compressors are firmly seated on the spring! Give each spring compressor a few turns with the ratchet before switching to the other one so that the spring compresses equally.

9. Once the top can be moved slightly by hand from side to side it is safe to remove the top strut nut using the 19mm wrench. It should loosen rather easily. If it doesn't appear that way, then compress your spring a few more turns each, otherwise the nut and other parts can come flying off.

10. Once the top has been removed, you can lift off the springs and compressor to get them out of your way. If you're just changing your springs just put the new one on the strut and then reassemble in the reverse order you removed the parts. Making sure to have the same number of threads showing on the strut bolt once you've tightened the strut nut fully.

11. If replacing the strut too, simply remove the old strut and insert the new one into your vice in the same position i.e. brake line bracket at the same position as it was previously. Slide the new spring over (flat and slightly larger end goes on top) and align with bottom of strut "ledge" - should be fairly obvious. Then re- assemble with your new parts. Tighten strut nut to expose the same number of threads as were exposed on the old strut.

12. With the boards still in place, reinstallation will be fairly simple. Just manuever the assembly up into place makings sure the brake line bracket is facing the same position as when you removed it. Once you have it loosely in position, slip it on the bottom strut bolt then align the top bolts with the holes by looking down from above in the engine bay and guiding it so the mounting bolts appear through the mounting holes.

13. Then have your helper, or do it yourself by using a wrench/breaker bar etc. to knock the board out that's pushing down the wheel out of the way while you are still eyeballing the alignment of the mounting bolts from above. Do not use your hands to knock the board loose!

If for some reason you do not get both bolts to come through the holes once the board is dislodged, gently put some weight on the caliper to create a little space while you or your helper nudge the bolt to the hole.

14. Tighten the bottom bolt (72 lb/ft) and brake line bracket bolt. If reinstalling the tt actuators, slip on the actuator bracket and then slip the actuator on the strut bolt to align the pin and the actuator. Remove it , then tighten the bracket bolt and the mounting bolts (23 lb/ft), then the actuator itself and your done. Go on to the other side and it will probably go about 20% faster now that you have an idea what you're doing.

Rear Struts/Springs Removal and Installation

1. Unfortunately, you'll need to remove all the rear trim to get to the rear strut mounting bolts. Depending on if you've lost a screw or two over the years, this will require anywhere from 10 -14 10mm nuts, and about 6 - 10 10mm screws. Start at the middle by the trunk latch and work your way around both sides. BTW, I haven't done this on a 2+2 but I imagine it will probably take even more work. =)

2. Once you've got it all removed you'll be able to see the actuator and mounting bolts on each side.

< p>3. Remove the actuator, actuator bracket nut, and mounting bolt nuts using 12mm and 14mm sockets, and either an 8mm or phillips head screwdriver for the actuator. Take note of the exposed threads showing on each strut after removal of the acutator bracket and the direction the "flat" side of the strut is facing.

4. Next, loosen lug nuts, jack up the rear of car using center of rear of transmission as jack point and insert jack stands appropriately. Remove rear wheels.

5. Next, remove the strut bolts using your breaker bar with the 17mm socket and a 17mm wrench on the nut to hold it from turning.

6. Use the flat of your hand to strike the strut until you knock it loose from the bracket.

7. Now you'll want to get your helper again to help prop the wheel down. This will be more difficult than the front as the suspension is "tighter" in the rear. This requires you to use the 15" length of wood as the prop and the shorter piece as the base. Position it appropriately, once again taking care not to impede the removal of the strut assembly once you have it propped up. Then stand/bounce slightly on the caliper until your helper can force the prop into place. The picture below shows it ready to be put into place.

8. Once it's propped, manuever the assembly up over the control arm and then out at an angle as you did the front.

9. Put the assembly in your vice as you did the fronts and disassemble/reassemble with new parts. Take note again of the angle of the mounting screws and flat side of strut threads in relation to the strut as they will have to be in the same position to fit back on your car.

One caveat I found with removing the strut nut is that sometimes it was extremely tight and had been put on with Loctite. So I had to use Liquid Wrench, and vice grips to hold the strut while I twisted off the nut with the wrench. It took over 30 minutes to get one off after soaking with Liquid Wrench, so be prepared for a possibility like that to arise.

10. Once you're ready to reinstall the strut, manuever it loosely back into the wheel well and through the control arm. I found it best to get the bottom of the strut aligned and the bottom bolt inserted before trying to align the top mounting bolts. Again, take care not to use your hands when removing the prop boards. Tighten the bolt to 72lbs/ft.

11. Align the acutator and tighten all the bolts as you did on the front struts.

12. Lower the car and reinstall your interior.

13. Have your car aligned as soon as possible to bring your camber and toe back into spec.

14. Note if you've installed the Eibach's or other lowering springs you will need to install a camber kit like the 300° kit before getting your car aligned.

Enjoy your new "ride"!

doug8867

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.