TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - How to run Airbag codes FAQ
People Seeking Info

Subject How to run Airbag codes FAQ

Posted by Zluster(Project Aardvark) on August 01, 2004 at 6:44 PM
  This message has been viewed 6407 times.

Message Because both the search results and the FSM instructions on how to do this aren’t exactly clear, here’s something that I hope is easier to understand.

If your airbag light flashes after 7 secs, then you need to run the airbag diagnostic codes, if your airbag light does not shut off after 7 secs then the airbag ECM needs to be replaced. To run the codes you must enter the first diagnostic mode, from there you can read the number of light flashed to see what the problem is. The second diagnostic mode is meant to show what codes have been cleared, and is not useful for diagnosing problem.

There are 3 modes for the airbag ECM diagnostic unit:
User (Normal)
Present (Diagnostic Mode 1)
Initial (Diagnostic Mode 2)

User (Normal):
This is the mode your car is in when it is not in diagnostic mode, it needs to be left in this mode for proper use of the SRS system, be sure to return the ECM to this mode after completing diagnostics.
Present (Diagnostic Mode 1):
This mode will display the codes causing the error in the SRS system, the number of short flashes of the airbag light corresponds to the error code.
Initial (Diagnostic Mode 2):
This mode is only useful to see what codes have been cleared, it will also show what code is causing the problem.

Most people, if ever, will only need to enter mode 1, follow the instructions below, simply ignoring the mode 2 instructions.

To enter Diagnostic Mode 1 you will need to activate the drivers side door switch(located in the door jamb near the latch striker) at least 5 times within 7 seconds after the ignition is turn to on.

To enter Diagnostic Mode 2 you will need to turn the key off then back to on, then activate the drivers side door switch once AFTER the ignition has been turned on for 7 secs.

To exit Diagnostic Mode 2 you will need to turn the key off then back to on, then activate the drivers side door switch once AFTER the ignition has been turned on for 7 secs.

To exit Diagnostic Mode 1 you will need to turn the key off then back to on, then activate the drivers side door switch(located in the door jamb near the latch striker) at least 5 times within 7 seconds after the ignition is turn to on.

Now for a visual:(adaptation from the FSM)

Before switching between the modes shown above remember to turn the key off then on, otherwise the system cannot accept the door switch inputs.

After switching to mode 1 the "Airbag" light will flash once long, indicating the code series is about to start, the following number of short flashes is the number of the code causing the error in the SRS system. If the airbag light flashes on for 2 secs and off for 3 secs then that indicates no problem, or an intermittent problem.

1- Safing Sensor circuit is out of order.
2- Driver's air bag module circuit is out of order.
3- Tunnel sensor circuit is out of order.
4- Right crash zone sensor circuit is out of order.
5- Left crash zone sensor circuit is out of order.
6- Center crash zone sensor circuit is out of order.
7- Diagnosis unit is out of order.
8- Front Passenger air bag module circuit is out of order.
9- More than 2 parts of the SRS system are out of order.

Chances are if you have a code that its something simple, the most common thing is the spiral cable in the steering column. I had the center and left crash sensors plugged in incorrectly(switched) and I got a code 6.

-------------------------------------------------------

Don't argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience. — Phil
Sarcasm is the only intelligent person's response to irritating stupidity. — Matthew White
Let us eat and drink; for tomorrow we shall die. - Isaiah 22, 13
A man has to believe in somet hing. I believe I'll have another drink. - W.C. Fields
Most people would rather die than think; in fact, they do so. - Bertrand Russell

so i got raped by an 80 year old man last nite... - dogpile 19:28:16 08/16/03
"......a f lat bed construction truck tried to rape the front of my car......." - Snoguitar 12:01:58 05/11/03
It isn't road rage if the other guy doesn't see it coming. -Bil ly The Kid 4-18-03
Do you drive your Z like that...? (n/m) - yellowpearlz.........Like what? - Zluster(Denver) .............like it escaped from a body sh op. (n/m) - YugoBernie (NoVA)
..........I thought your money was in Gart h's g-string last I checked.(n/m) - YugoBernie (NoVA) 12:13:37 04/13/04 When I think of a comeback you are in big trouble... (n/m) - BigTDogg (MA) 12:23:29 04/13/04tt

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.