TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - TECH: Detonation Sensor Relocation.
People Seeking Info

Subject TECH: Detonation Sensor Relocation.

Posted by niXit on January 19, 2003 at 12:08 PM
  This message has been viewed 32968 times.

Message Tech: Detonation Sensor Installation Alternatives

The purpose of this document is to show ‘acceptable’ detonation sensor installations. These installations are not approved by Nissan, Inc.

This documents purpose is to also give the reader the option of installing a more appropriate fix for a fouled detonation sensor then the seemingly more common ‘resistor trick’.

All information contained here is for discussion only. Anyone attempting these relocations are doing so at their own risk and are effectively releasing twinturbo.net, it’s advertisers, it’s author(s), and contributors from any and all liabilities.

You have been warned.

I felt that there were too many people running higher then stock boost, and bypassing the detonation sensor by doing the resistor trick. The resistor trick does work. But it also prevents the car from ‘self healing’ when it detects engine knock. According to Nissan, the replacement of the detonation sensor is roughly a $3,000 job in parts and labor. Bypassing the detonation sensor by using a $0.10 resistor just to save $3,000.oo is a little absurd. It had been called to my attention that a local dealer was relocating the det sensor on the engine and effectively saving the car owner approximately $2800.oo. This to me, was worth sharing. So, here’s what I/they did.

Here’s the detonation sensor that you will need.
Retail on this part (Nissan part number #22060-30p00) is $175.24usd.
With your Courtesy Nissan/TwinTurbo.net discount, this sensor can be had for $123.06usd.

Here’s the detonation sensor harness that you will also need.
Retail on the part (Nissan part number #24078-300P00) is $29.32usd.
With your Courtesy Nissan/Twinturbo.net discount, this sensor can be had for $19.81usd.

We’ll start with the first and probably best relocation. It’s harder to get to, but should yield equally sensitive results as the stock under plenum location.

Although it’s attached to the head, and not to the block, any detonation from either cylinder banks should transmit through the block bolts and into the heads.
This location should be possibly accessible from under the car. The photo is looking at the rear drivers side of the engine block. (side note: this particular car will be a mild 500-600rwhp car when complete)

Second and third locations are kind of a toss up. I prefer one over the other for no particular reason. We’ll start with my least favorite; Plenum ground mount.

Pictured above, is the passengers side #5 intake plenum runner. There is a ground stud there. I do not like this location due to the size of the screw being used. It does not fit snuggly in the detonation sensor. It also is rather far from the engine block. All vibrations or noises travel through the block, head bolts, heads, lower intake bolts, lower intake, upper intake bolts, upper intake. That’s a lot of potential sensitivity loss.

Here’s the new screw stack up that I used for the plenum ground stud relocation;
M6-100 x 30mm bolt = $0.20 usd.
M6 lock washer = $0.07 usd.
M6 flat washer = $.05 usd.

These can be obtained at your better hardware stores.
The best location in my opinion, from a serviceability standpoint is on the upper plenu, but using the main plenum bolts.

This is the rear drivers side bolt that holds the upper plenum to the lower plenum. This bolt will hopefully help the sensitivity over using the ground stud location, as it gets it’s vibrations from the lower plenum, instead of relying entirely on the upper plenum.

Here is the bolt stack up that I was able to configure.
M8-1.25 x 100mm bolt = $1.50 usd. There was unfortunately no in-between on bolt lengths, so I had to choose the longer bolt.
M8 lock washer = $0.07 usd.
M10-1.50 nut = $0.23 usd. This was used strictly as a spacer to get the proper thread penetration.
M8 flat washer = $0.07 usd.

This concludes today’s tech article.

Consider this an unofficial beta version 0.01 post.
This is for informational purposes only.
This is for discussion only.
This is not legal for use in Canada, Guam, and New Mexico. Or even Old Mexico.
Have fun, be safe, but get your detonation sensors working Ladies and Gents.

props go to ElGuapo the image hosting.
props also to Courtesy Nissan for loaning me parts, part numbers, and techical advice.

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.