TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Tips on installing urethane tension rod bushings...
People Seeking Info

Subject Tips on installing urethane tension rod bushings...

Posted by Vic (TX) on July 14, 2000 at 9:47 PM
  This message has been viewed 3771 times.

Message I decided to replace my OEM tension rod bushings with urethane bushings (Energy Suspension) from Courtesy ($49 plus S&H). This seemed like a pretty straightforward DIY, but I wanted to pass along a few things I learned that I didn't find in searching the TT.net site. This was done on my 90 NA Z, which BTW is for sale:
[ http://carrola.home.texas.net/Z.html ]

Removing the tension rod was very easy, recommend a breaker bar to break the bolts on the tension rod.

Next comes the fun part, removing the old bushings and replacing thew new ones. I read from one posting that someone just took a big hammer and popped the old rubber bushing with 4-5 hits. After I smacked the bushings several times I decided there was no way they were coming out, maybe if they were more worn they would come out easier. Anyway we decided to take a torch and burn the bushings out, this was very easy. Just heat up the rubber pretty good on each side and one or two strikes with a hammer and the bushing pops out. Watch out for super hot, melted rubber!!

There is sleeve that the OEM bushing sit in inside the tension rod. If you remove the old bushings using the torch method the sleeve will stay in the tension rod. I don't know if this sleeve would have come out if you were able to hammer the bushing out without the torch. Since I removed my bushings with the torch I had to remove this sleeve. Nothing budged using a hammer and a chisel, but taking an air hammer I took off two small rings about a quarter inch deep on each side of the tension rod bushing. Be careful not to cut into the actual tension rod. There was still a piece of the sleeve that ran the whole width of the tension rod (where the bushing was). I took the air hammer and got right on the edge and hammered it toward the center of where the bushing would normally be. This kind of peeled back the sleeve, then I could just hammer it down and it slid out of the tension rod.

You will know that you have remove all of the old bushing if you see a smooth surface from the inside of where the bushing goes to the outside of the tension rod, no seams.

To install the new urethane bushing, I first removed the metal sleeve inside the new bushing (this allows the bushing to compress so you can squeeze it into the tension rod more easily). I used a vise and place a flat piece of metal on each side of the vise, so the bushing nor the tension rod would pivot on the vice and buckle. Grease up the bushing and it will go in very easy. It will only go a little more than half way because the side that has already gone in will hit the other end of the vise. Then just take it out of the vise, smack it with a hammer a couple of times and the other end will pop out. Then grease the metal bushing and use the vice to press it into the tension rod (use a rag or towel on the bushing side so the teeth of your vise does not tear up the bushing). Again use a hammer to finish the job.

I really wish I had a camera handy, so I could have taken some pics for you guys, but no such luck. I thought at least if I shared this info it would help someone get through the job quicker, or be ready with the right tools and be a little more informed.

Vic

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.