TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Re: Re: Main Water Passage Deburring
People Seeking Info

Subject Re: Re: Main Water Passage Deburring

Posted by 666whptt on March 17, 2024 at 1:46 AM
  This message has been viewed 57 times.

In Reply To Re: Main Water Passage Deburring posted by Mongoose on March 07, 2024 at 12:39 PM

Message 1. Tools: Overhead lighting and Flashlights, Die Grinder, 6" x 1/4" and or 12" x 1/4" single or double Cut Tungsten Carbide Deburr set, Hammer & Punches for Freeze Plugs, Socket Set, Seal Remover or something creative to pull check valve balls, tap and die set to pull Brass Plugs, Possibly a file to round deburr set shoulders.
2. Prep: I stripped the block of its decency leaving nothing but cast iron. Brackets, Oil Squirters, Studs/Bolts, Freeze Plugs, Brass Oil Galley Plugs and the little Ball Check Valves behind the oil filter. While in there I checked to see if they ever rotated the cylinders which they hadn't, weird...

3. Purchase: 1/4" collet die grinder with extended neck. The VG water passage is too small for the 1/4" collet electric tool neck to fit in, so if you do buy electric, the extended and regular tool neck will work the same as neither fit past the collet. The 1/8" collet tools will fit in the hole but your going to be there for a ridiculous period of time working with that tiny bit.
: Bits/Cutting Tool: 6" x 1/4" single cut Tungsten carbide deburr set. (double cut tungsten carbide works excellent too, the single simply cuts faster but is hard to find) Note, they do offer 12" shafts, I bought a set, my tool didn't have variable speed and ruined the set. No matter how slow I tried with my one speed tool they wobbled and bent. If you have a variable electric or pneumatic it'll save you time utilizing the 12". Otherwise you can get the job done from both ends with the 6". Another note, the set I purchased were square at the collet end and I had to file them down to fit in my 1/4" collet.
4. Passage Porting: Stand the block on either end, lightly jab around to knock the larger casting loose but I've found it can plug the off and take more time getting out and what falls in the jacket may not immediately flush out. Granted i've had it plug off with grinding too but only had to flip the block and poke through it. If grindings fall in the jacket it can be flushed out.
start grinding right away. You'll get the majority through the tunnel, you will need to go through the top freeze plug holes to get it all though.
Caution Area: Just be careful not to mess up the freeze plug seat area, it can happen quick. Not just the cutting end can damage it, if your pushing the tool shaft against it, the shaft can notch it. Other than that your pretty safe inside the tunnel. You'd have to really dig a hole somewhere to put something in danger.

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.