TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Tachometer bouncing, or stops alltogether with HICAS light!
People Seeking Info

Subject Tachometer bouncing, or stops alltogether with HICAS light!

Posted by 1T9T9Z1 on July 02, 2023 at 10:05 AM
  This message has been viewed 193 times.

Message So I was out for a drive and my tachometer started having an issue where it would drop and jump back up to where it belongs. When it drops to 0, my HICAS also light cames on. After watching it for a while, I found that the needle will drop and bounce back up but the HICAS light only comes on once the tach drops to 0. As soon as the needle leaves 0, the HICAS light goes off again.

I want to add that the car runs fine, the tachometer jumping is not accompanied by any misfire or the like. The HICAS seems to be working fine as well - I had a bad speed sensor some time ago and I found what it was like for the HICAS system to not work while that sensor was not working. This issue does seem to be accompanied by hitting even the smallest bumps in the road, however, it can also happen while I am sitting still, so I am not sure if that it a valid clue or not.

I want to add a short video clip of this happening, I don't see any place to upload a video so I will add a hyperlink to a video hosting website so anyone that is interested in helping can see what is happening. See link below. Thank you all for your input!

P.S. I think it is worth mentioning that I have not done any new work to this car in nearly a year, so I can't go over what was recently done, as that would usually be the first step. What MIGHT be notable, but may have nothing to do with this at all, the day after the tach/hicas light issue, I noticed that my Selin dual-maf translator had fallen from it's place up in the nose of the car and was hanging like a pendulum in the front opening of the bumper. I wish I had mounted it, but I tucked it into a corner and it seemed alright where it was. I do not know if there is any relation to the MAF wiring and the tach/hicas, but I need to mention that the OEM MAF pigtail was cut off 2 years ago, and an upgraded (new style) pigtail was soldered in. (the old one had some corrosion in the connections) My thought process here is that the pendulum swinging of the Selin translator may have wiggled loose one of the solder connections. When the tach issue first started, it would seem to happen more going up a hill. I have not opened the harness up to check the solder connections yet.

It has been 2 weeks since this issue started, and it seems to have only gotten worse. So for example, if it is a loose connection, it is getting looser.

See video link below and please let me know if you need any more information to help me figure this out! Happy 4th to everyone! ~Jeff Pellegrino

https://streamable.com/hucjjf

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.