TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Alternator going bad
People Seeking Info

Subject Alternator going bad

Posted by Dr Jay on September 04, 2022 at 3:24 PM
  This message has been viewed 161 times.

Message Hey fellow twin turbo owners. I acquired a 1995 twin turbo about a year ago. I absolutely love it. Recently I had a little sluggish start and then after about 10 minutes it started getting sluggish on hard acceleration. I changed the battery (because there was some corrosion on the positive lead) and it seemed to go away; but actually it returned within a few miles of putting in the new battery and then got so bad the car actually died just about a quarter mile from my house. The battery was low. I charged the battery and the symptoms went away but to be honest I have not driven it long enough or hard enough to try and re-create the symptoms. The fuel pump seems to be fine and I can hear it kick in when I turn the key. I can only assume my alternator is going bad and may have a bad diode or something. Also there’s a slight parasitic draw because when I take the battery off trickle charge it drops down to under 12. so again I’m going with bad alternator. The big question is what alternator are people using now? OEM alternators are nowhere to be found. I don’t want to put a 200 amp alternator in. I just want another 90 amp alternator. I read stuff about Infiniti alternators with some modifications etc. I’d like to hear some opinions. Thanks in advance

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.