TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Absolutely no power
People Seeking Info

Subject Absolutely no power

Posted by Monkeymantenn on July 23, 2022 at 5:05 PM
  This message has been viewed 182 times.

Message I’ve owned my 1993 automatic Z for 20 years. It’s got roughly 113k miles on it and I’ve never had a serious issue. I drive this car very little and recently decided to take it for a spin in the neighborhood. As I pulled out of my driveway, I noticed a complete lack of power (like it’s in limp mode). I turned around and brought it back home. In park, the idle revs up as it should. In drive, it’s like it can barely move…even at full throttle. Pulled it back in the garage and turned it off. Turned it back on and my a/t light flashed at me. I pulled the a/t codes by doing the key/shifter procedure and I’m pretty sure it came up with speed sensor and revolution sensor.

I talked to my mechanic (who specializes in Z’s) and he has me on a wait list for over 3 months now just to look at it. I’m hesitant to even take it to him because his first instinct is that the transmission is likely going out and I should just do a manual swap (for around $3500). I really need to know if anyone has experienced something like this before. Like I said, I don’t like the idea of him saying it’s a $3500 job without even seeing the car. Can the speed sensor and revolution sensors just suddenly stop working. If so, would they give the issues I’m experiencing? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
-Monk

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.