TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Help w/ High & Low Beam Issue (Neither Work)
People Seeking Info

Subject Help w/ High & Low Beam Issue (Neither Work)

Posted by Dizmone on May 20, 2022 at 8:27 PM
  This message has been viewed 207 times.

Message Seeking any advice and answers to some questions I have about the a low/high beam issue.

My Z was in the body shop for quite some time getting painted, PDR, and more. I took to the shop without the headlights, fascia or any front end components. I opted to install all these parts when the Z was towed back home.

Anyways, with everything back together, I tried turning on the headlights and the high beams came on, but the signal/high beam switch was in neutral position. When I flipped the high beam switch (while they were on) it blew both 15a headlight fuses. Changed the fuses, and the same thing happened.

So from there, I double checked all fuses, replaced both H/Lamp RH & LH relays, replaced H/Lamp Dim, and even replaced the Clearance Illumi even though it looked fine. So all new in that area. All Fusible Links looked good.

Now I'm not getting any high or low beams. Thinking that I may have a faulty headlight switch or signal stalk, I bought used ones to try out and still the same result - no high or low beams.

Note: At this point, ALL other lights are working. I have gauge cluster lights, signals, side markers, tails, TBL works, reverse lights, signals all flash and hazards work fine. Actually, every electrical component is functioning except the headlights. ECU is throwing code 55.

Sorry if this is long winded. I've added photos of the wiring diagram in the areas I think an issue may be occurring. I'm pretty novice in the electrical area of tinkering. I tested voltage on the headlight switch connector and I'm getting 12v on red/blue and then on green/red and red/yellow when I turn on the headlights. However, I'm getting nothing from pink and pink/black.

So my big question is, when the headlights are switched on, shouldn't I be getting 12v through the pink and pink/black wires?

They head to the dimmer switch (signal stalk) and head to the LH and RH headlight relays. I'm getting 12v on the purple wire at the signal stalk when high beams are activated, but again, nothing live in the pink and pink/black wires.

If they are supposed to get 12v, would the Theft Control Unit be a suspect since pink and pink/black run from both relays and head to a diode before going to that unit?

Anyways, just wanted to get some ideas or pointed in any other direction necessary to fix this. Obviously, I could have bought a faulty headlight. Either way, I'm stump and would greatly appreciate any advice.

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.