TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Need help with low rpm engine stumble issue.
People Seeking Info

Subject Need help with low rpm engine stumble issue.

Posted by Woody75 (Denver) on October 26, 2021 at 6:06 PM
  This message has been viewed 382 times.

Message Got a local guys 1994 TT that has an issue that I can't seem to figure out. I've ran it by a few other people and no luck there. At low rpms the engine feels like it's missing. It stumbles when you rev it. It's slow to get into boost but it does have all 4 stock cats on it still. Once up into boost it feels ok but could be the higher rpms are just masking the issue. But until about 2500-3k rpms you can feel the stumble/miss. I've verified all cylinders are working/firing. Looking for other suggestions to look into here. The car has actually been running like this for years now, I cant believe hes still driving it like this honestly. I looked at it before but didnt have time back then to get into it. I thought he had somewhere else fix it for him as I never heard back again. This summer he saw me at Zcon and actually had drove the car there. I checked it out and was surprised to see the same issue was there.

1994 Twin turbo
5-speed
It has UD pulley, intake, cat back, ecu.

List of things looked into/tried:
With the computer connected nothing stands out as bad or out of sorts.

O2s are working normal

TPS is set correctly. I tried another one but no change.

Boost/smoke leak test all good. found a few small things and fixed those with no change.

Leak down test was good

Compression test was good. Only thing I noticed was all the drivers side cylinders were 10psi lower than the passenger but still in spec. I verified the timing belt/etc (see further down the list).

Tried a different maf, no change

Fuel pressure regulator and dampener were oem so I put in a newer set of used ones. No change

Added fuel pressure gauge. Pressure is spot on. Holds after shut down as well, etc.

Tried different spark plugs, no change

Tried different coils, no change

Put in another good set of stock fuel injectors even though his test that they are working and ohm good, no change.

Tried different PTU, no change.

Tried different CAS, no change.

Timing is set and good

Tried another ECU, no change.

I did the timing belt before on the car a few years ago so it shouldhave been good unless something happened. I took the covers off and everything is good still. Counted teeth to be sure, etc.

I'm at a loss on this one. I may have missed/not listed some things I've done so feel free to throw things out there. I'll take any suggestions to try. I'm at the point where I just need to give it back to him an tell him I dont know what it is. But its really killing me to do that as I know he wont take it to someone else....as there is no one else :).

>

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.