TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Intermittent start problem Solved:
People Seeking Info

Subject Intermittent start problem Solved:

Posted by doug8867 on August 17, 2021 at 5:25 PM
  This message has been viewed 144 times.

In Reply To Follow up: I think I’ve tracked this down to a problem posted by doug8867 on August 06, 2021 at 06:45 AM

Message After getting my code 13 I discovered by radiator fluid was low. Just to cover my bases, I also replaced the sensor and spliced in a new connector pigtail. Topped off fluid and the car started. Tried it again and it didn’t. Ran codes and got 55. After a few choice cuss words I did some more googling. Starter relay was suggested as the culprit. It is located in the driver’s side footwell. When I wiggled in there to remove and check it I noticed some small green plastic shards in a nook of the floor mat. Upon closer examination I found 4 more of them scatterred about. Then I looked at the clutch pedal and there was an empty hole on a piece of metal on the shaft.

Light bulb went on and I knew I immediately the pieces were the rubber/plastic button that goes on the clutch pedal to push in the neutral switch which lets the car start! Apparently it had hardened over time and broken off in pieces. Sometimes the piece that was left on it pushed the button allowing car to start and sometimes it moved out of alignment and didn’t. Eventually all the pieces must of fallen out and it wouldn’t start.

Got the $15 button stopper part (46512-H01101) from the dealer, and now it starts as it should. Thought I had checked all the simple stuff but forgot the switch. Hope this info helps someone else down the road.

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.