TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Help with Intermittent starting problem - avc-r related?
People Seeking Info

Subject Help with Intermittent starting problem - avc-r related?

Posted by doug8867 on July 24, 2021 at 10:01 AM
  This message has been viewed 181 times.

Message Hi guys, TT has helped me through a lot of problems over the years and I need help with this one.

Problem: About a week ago I returned from vacation to discover the Z wouldn’t start. Charged battery and it still didn’t’ start. Let it set for a week and began troubleshooting today.

I have an apexi avc-r installed. Sometimes in the past I would hear the actuator under the nose plate run, rrrr/click click click, for a several seconds after I turned the car off. Sometimes it didn’t do that. It’s been like that for years, pretty much since I installed it but I’ve had no starting or running issues, and as mentioned it seemed random. I spoke to apexi about it way back in the day and they thought it might be “excess voltage bleeding off”. I only mention it now in the event it’s relevant.

Several days ago when I first tried to start the car it made that rrrr/clicking sound for a long time. It did it on several starting attempts. I went out today prepared to troubleshoot the fuel pump control unit as I suspected it might be the cause, but first I thought I would try to start it again. To my surprise, it started up fine! I let it idle for several minutes, shut it off, and then tried to start it again. Nothing, back to the rrr/click click click sound.

I open the nose panel to check actuator connection, and the passenger footwell and check each of the 6 AVC-R wire connections to the ECU, I also check the monitoring unit I keep in the glove box. All looks to be in good order, with no exposed or loose wiring.

I try to start the car again and it starts!! Shut if off, and now it does nothing. No rrrr/click sound. Just click like it would with a dead battery. Radio still works fine and all dash lights on so I know it’s not battery related.

Would this intermittent starting be a symptom of a faulty fuel pump controller? Or possibly something to do with the AVC-R? Basically I don’t know if the source of the sound, or in some case lack of it, is a symptom of the problem or the cause of it.

It’s possible neither the control unit or the AVC-R are to blame. I think a relay is out of the question since it’s either good or bad and I wouldn’t have the intermittent issues.

Another point of information is I have an aftermarket Sony radio head unit that uses a Scosche adapter. I’ve had to intermittently tighten the 4 screws on that adapter down from time to time so that all 4 speakers emit the sound level consistently, so one or two speakers aren’t louder than the others. I only mention this in the event it may be related to this issue.

I think the problem could be related to a voltage issue of some sort but really don’t know what to try next. Thanks in advance for any thoughts or ideas!

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.