TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Dash Lights Not Working
People Seeking Info

Subject Dash Lights Not Working

Posted by 23_Z32 on February 02, 2021 at 3:08 PM
  This message has been viewed 143 times.

Message Hello, this is my first time posting here. I've used this forum before to help with other problems over the years, just not as a member. This time I'm coming up empty as far as a solution to my problem.

As the subject states, my dash lights (like when you turn your running/head lights on) do not come on, plus a few more, I'll explain as I go.

First, the background to the problem. (Everything worked before I decided to fix my tachometer) So, I was having some trouble with the tachometer fluttering around and remembered I had seen a post on here from years ago on how to fix your speedometer. It was the simple fix of resoldering some connections and the gauge has worked ever since. I decided to check if that was the case with my tach and to my surprise it was. I fixed the almost broken solder connection and installed everything back into my Z, hooked the battery back up and when I went to check, I didn't notice any dash lights come on. No security light blinking, no door open, the usual lights that illuminate when nothing else is on. So I tried to turn the outside lights on to check dash lights (outside lights work... lows/highs, running lights, blinkers, everything). Interior lights like: dome, footwell, and even the pods for the climate control and the lights/cruise/rear defrost, all work as they should as well as they light up.

The car does start up just fine (and yes the tach now works as it should so I can check that problem off the list that seems to never go away). Not really sure what would cause this problem, I did all the work to the gauge cluster with the battery unhooked. I have checked all fuses that seem like they would have something to do with either interior lighting or security and they all seem to be fine. I checked the fusible link by the battery, I checked the fuses by the drivers foot, and I checked the main fuse/relay box under the hood. I checked the cluster itself with my multimeter because the FSM said that the "dummy lights" are all controlled on a diode circuit and they all had an ohm rating show up. (The light bulbs in that little section of lights do work, because when you turn the key to the on position all of them turn on until you start the car and then they shut off accordingly)

I'm not really sure where to look next, or maybe I've just overlooked something already? Any thoughts on what might be causing this I'm open to trying. I know everything worked (minus the tach) before I decided to fix it and that is probably the most frustrating part.

Thank you in advance, hopefully this is something simple that I'm just overlooking.

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.