TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - '90 TT - Overheats on heavy load. Squeals on cold start.
People Seeking Info

Subject '90 TT - Overheats on heavy load. Squeals on cold start.

Posted by Tw3NTy0n3 on October 02, 2020 at 6:00 PM
  This message has been viewed 239 times.

Message Bought car in February. 1990 TT 120k miles. Well kept. Always running strong. No issues besides having to replace rotors when I got her.

Lately, on a cold start, there's a squealing noise that last a few seconds and goes away. Only happens on a cold start. Sounds like something clicks on and the squealing stops?

https://i.imgur.com/GhC0m9O.mp4

Here's what's going down
- Starts to heat up on spirited driving
- Cools down when idling + heater on
- Can cruise at low rpms with heater on
- Able to hold fan from spinning with my finger when the car is turned on (read this as a diagnostic test somewhere to check for slippage)
- When trying the 'hold fan with finger' test, the noise remained the same on a cold start
- I'll probably get an ear full from the hold fan test mentioned above, the post was from 1999!
- Fan is tight and doesn't spin much when pushed by hand with engine off
- Tried tightening belts down, no change in noise
- No coolant being leaked out
- No power loss/stumbling/car shutting off/smoke
- (edit) Coolant looks clean and isn't low.

When searching, my symptoms hit the mark on some things but not completely.

I'd like to see if anyone has experienced anything similar before I spend money on a new clutch fan/belts and start replacing things. For the most part, the parts look new and well maintained.

I went on a hunt for a brake squeal issue that turned out to be BENT rotors (not warped/glazed, BENT). On the flip side, I have new brake pads, shims, slide pins etc and the spare set that I replaced lol. So I'm here asking for some opinions to better narrow down my search for the issue.

Thanks in advance!

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.