TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - An FYI regarding my LED modifications.
People Seeking Info

Subject An FYI regarding my LED modifications.

Posted by DVDBURN (MD) on September 28, 2020 at 11:19 AM
  This message has been viewed 548 times.

Message For the past 8 years or so I have no longer used the LEDs that I used in my LED write-up years ago. I have been using a different type of LED which are much better. These newer type of LEDs are not available from superbrightled.com. The POD LEDs are almost a direct fit. When I receive them, they require a small amount of trimming around the circular board that the LED is mounted to. Some do not require this trimming but many do.

The gauge cluster LEDs are too tall when new. Because of that, they will introduce problems with the gauges. They can jam the fuel and temp gauge from reading correctly and the LEDs can break off when you try to insert them because they come into contact with the clear light diffusers that surround the gauges. The diffusers capture the light emitted from the lamps and help disperse the light evenly to the gauge faces for illumination.

When they jam the temp gauge, it will cause the temp gauge to not read more than half way. The LED will push up on the light diffuser which in turn pushes up on the gauge face causing the gauge needle to drag. Same with the fuel gauge. This has been a problem with other LEDs as well.

Depending on the gauge cluster, it may have brown or blue plastic holders that the main lamps sit in. In order for the LEDs to sit deep enough into the lamp holders, the sides of the white LED holders need to be cut away. This keeps the holder from interfering with the internal design of the lamp holder. This is the only modification needed for it to fit into the blue lamp holders so that it will sit deep enough to not interfere with the gauges. A little trimming on the end of the white LED holder to make it shorter is also needed in order for the LED to sit deep enough into the brown lamp holders.

Here are pictures of the LEDs and the LEDs installed. The install pictures were taken last month. These LEDs offer virtually no hot spotting. A thing to note though is that with LEDs the low fuel indicator will appear to be illuminated due to the stray light emitted by the LEDs. However, when there is a low fuel situation, the low fuel lamp will light as it should as I do not replace the low fuel indicator with an LED.

www.mytwinturbo.com

Nissan Data Voice - The first Nissan diagnostic software with a voice!

Nissan Data Voice on YouTube

Download my Nissan 300ZX Vin/Model Lookup.

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.