TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Taillight Trouble
People Seeking Info

Subject Taillight Trouble

Posted by Rossm952 on August 09, 2020 at 6:30 PM
  This message has been viewed 188 times.

Message Hello, I’m hoping someone can point me in the right direction please. I will start off by saying I don’t know much about electrical work and I’m a bit out of my depth trying to diagnose the problem here. I got around to replacing my back-up lamp sensor a few weeks ago and now have 1 last lighting issue to address – the taillights. All of my exterior lights are working including the turn signals, headlamps, fog lights, reverse lights, and brake lights, but the taillights do not light up when I turn on the headlights.
I honestly am not sure if the taillights have worked since I bought the car last year, but I do know that I was getting the dash brake warning light for a while when I braked. Didn’t drive the car much because I was doing a lot of work to it, but now the dash brake light does not come on when I brake. I have replaced all 4 taillight bulbs with new 1157s. None of the sockets looked corroded. I have also checked all of the standard sized fuses in the kick panel and under the hood using a multimeter.
I have read through numerous other posts and convinced myself the issue was most likely the taillight sensor relay, so I picked up a replacement from a junkyard and installed it, but no luck. Figured that one could have been bad too, so I had my father-in-law take the circuit boards for both and re-flow the solder on them. He told me the solder didn’t look bad to begin with, but he did it anyways. After I tried them again the taillights still didn’t illuminate when I turned on my headlights. I don’t really care about the idiot dash light so I tried bypassing the sensor using the initial poster’s method in this thread https://forums.nicoclub.com/diy-tail-light-sensor-bypass-nissan-t575420.html . I connected 4 (red/black) to 5 (red/green) and 2 (green/red) to 7 (yellow/red) and 8 (red/black). That didn’t change anything, so I also tried the follow-up poster’s method in the video. Looks like he did 7(yellow/red) to 2 (green/red) and 4/8 (red/black) to 1 (red). No change, my brake lights still worked fine, but the taillights don’t light up when the headlights are on. Is it safe to say that the relay isn’t the issue? What can I check next??? Any help is greatly appreciated. I want to be able to drive the Z at night safely!

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.