TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - NA> TT swap + 2020 Nissan tech retrofit
People Seeking Info

Subject NA> TT swap + 2020 Nissan tech retrofit

Posted by Zeakerone on June 12, 2020 at 10:11 PM
  This message has been viewed 260 times.

Message Hi, lurk you long time, never post.

I have had this idea since the VR30DDTT came out in the infinite q50 and q60. (If you’re not familiar, just google some Dyno charts!) These 3.0 TT v6’s make peak power at a VERY low RPM. That broad powerband is what I’m shooting for. The VR has electric wastegates, which probably plays a role in this necksnapping torque curve, but I think the main contribution is that they utilize twin air to water intercoolers. The charge pipe plumbing from the compressor outlet to the throttle body is about 18” long (Compare that to the ~9’ in the VG.)

So I pulled the trigger and bought a JDM TT engine (mine is NA) with a mouse living in the plenum, driver side and passenger side air to water intercoolers off of an infinite q60, full rebuild / refresh goodies, and necessary swap stuff. There will be a lot of necessary fab and wire tucking to fits these things in the bay, but they are tiny little intercoolers. I want to maintain less than 20” of plumbing from compressor to TB. I want to mount the water tank, pump, and heat exchanger in the back of the car to aid in weight distribution. My goal is not a HP figure, it is to make peak torque before 3k RPMS like the VR30DDTT, as apposed to after 3500 RPMS like the VG. Is it worth it? I honestly don’t know. I’m not the most experienced car guy or mechanic, but I know my way around some complicated problem solving and systems engineering. I’m building it either way, but I’d be really interested in any opinions, any supporting mods that could beef up my torque curve in the early RPMS, any similar ideas or builds, and any criticisms.

THANKS FOR READING

Quick on me:I am fellow z32 owner, I used to do Subaru’s. always wanted a z, so I bought an NA that a man spent $14000 restoring. California car, fucking beautiful.

I am a fabricator, pipefitter, and millwright by trade, I love engineering and complicated shit, I onderstand nothing that I’m doing makes any sense to some of you, but bare with me.

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.