TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Z issues
People Seeking Info

Subject Z issues

Posted by Ryan1001 on March 06, 2020 at 11:49 AM
  This message has been viewed 165 times.

Message I am having an issue with my Z that I am hoping someone can help me out with. At the end of last fall the last time I drove it, before parking it for the winter, it died in my driveway. I was driving home from work so it was about a 10 minute drive home. The car would not start back up. I tried pushing it into the garage but the slight incline would not allow me to get it to go in. I popped the hood and switched around a couple relays (my other Z did this to me once and my mechanic told me all he did was swap 2 relays and it has been fine ever since) This, unfortunately did not help. After about an hour of checking fuses and relays I tried starting it again and it fired right up. Absolutely no hesitation. I pulled it into the garage and got it ready for storage.

Now the weather is getting nicer and I want to be able to drive it again, so I went out and fired it up, it took a little bit, but it started ok. I let it run for 20-30 minutes and it died again, just like before. When it dies it just stops, it doesn't sputter or anything first, just a dead stop. After it died I was able to start it again but it only ran for about 20 seconds and then I was unable to start it again. Every time I leave it alone for a couple hours I can go out and fire it right up, again without any hesitation. I pulled the fuel pump relay from my other Z and hooked it up to see if it would fire up and it did not. I swapped out the fuel pump fuse and ignition relay, it did not help either. I talked to my mechanic and he suggested either the fuel pump or crank sensor, or for some reason it isn't getting any spark. When it won't start back up it cranks just fine, but never has any sort of ignition like it either doesn't have fuel or doesn't have any spark. He told me to listen for my fuel pump to kick on when I turn the key, I can hear the relay click and from inside the car I cannot hear the pump, I removed the gas cap and listened there and could not hear it either. I laid underneath the car under the gas tank and could hear it run under there, unless there was something else I was hearing, but I don't know what else there would be.

My other Z I can very easily hear my fuel pump run while inside the car. Does this seem like a weak fuel pump issue? The part that really confuses me is I can go from absolutely nothing while trying to start it, to it firing up on the first crank after sitting for a couple hours. If there is no fuel present when it won't start, how is it so quick to start after sitting for a couple hours?

Anybody have any ideas on what else I should check? Or have any idea what the problem could be? It is a 91 2+2 with 34,000 miles on it. Maybe the reason the fuel pump isn't as loud as my other one is the 100,000 miles difference between the 2. I am running out of ideas, the car was very well taken care of and is in great shape. I have had it for 5 years and this is the first problem I have had with it. I don't want to start replacing parts that don't need replaced just to try to figure out what it is. I also don't really want to rob any parts from the other one, to test something is one thing, but I don't want to get into the habit of taking a part from it just to have to remember to replace it later.

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.