TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Based on your diagnostic work (well thought out and
People Seeking Info

Subject Based on your diagnostic work (well thought out and

Posted by SirpriZ on February 25, 2020 at 2:25 PM
  This message has been viewed 150 times.

In Reply To Got project running, but it has low compression. Need advice posted by Polishzx on February 24, 2020 at 06:34 PM

Message performed BTW), it sounds like #3 cylinder is the culprit of the rough idle and running, even though the compression # isn't horrible. Given that you poured oil in the cylinder and the roughness went away (and the balance test was normal), that's the only thing I can conclude. That would indicate poor sealing due to a ring, piston, or scored cylinder issue. If you have a Harbor Freight near you (or some other similar cheap tool place), you may want to purchase a cheap borescope to inspect the condition of the #3 cylinder. This may reveal cylinder scoring or gouging. If you want to try a cheaper route, you are welcome to borrow mine (just leave a $20,000 deposit ;-). The problem isn't valves, as the addition of oil wouldn't affect their sealing. If you have a stethoscope (steal one from your doctor if you don't), you may be able to locate the ticking/knocking. If it's a VTC or lifter, the noise would be up top. If it's a rod/bearing, the noise would be more evident from the oil pan area. I don't believe the rough running is a lifter due to the temporary "fix" of pouring oil in the cylinder. I also have a stethoscope that you are also welcome to borrow. Just look up my phone number in profile and text me. Good luck.

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.