TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Got project running, but it has low compression. Need advice
People Seeking Info

Subject Got project running, but it has low compression. Need advice

Posted by Polishzx on February 24, 2020 at 6:34 PM
  This message has been viewed 330 times.

Message I bought a 95 NA 2+2 A/T with 120k on the dial, amazing condition both interior and exterior, except that it had a very small engine fire by the battery. I purchased for ultra cheap, fully restored, and recently got it running after going to war with several other issues. The rest of the car is in such good condition which is why I'm committed to seeing it through. The fire was very minor, I don't think it had anything to do with this motor issue, I'm wondering if it might have been the previous "solution" actually...

Anyways, after getting the car fired up, the motor runs rough and power balance test shows Cylinder 3 is the culprit. Verified injector, spark plug, coil pack, injector connector, ptu, everything working. Then did a compression test:

Cyl1: 208
Cyl2: 200
Cyl3: 155
Cyl4: 198
Cyl5: 209
Cyl6: 195

In addition, the motor makes a very slight knocking/tapping noise. It doesn't sound as severe as most engine knocks, but it is definitely there. It seems much louder when warmed up, as it sounds better/quieter when cold. I took a quick recording, it can be heard most clearly right at the beginning and end of the video: La-Z-Link

I poured some oil in the cylinder, and compression shot up to ~280PSI. I put everything back together and sure enough, it passed the power balance test fine while spitting out a bunch of smoke out the back. After a few minutes, the roughness returned and no more smoke, I assume no more oil left in the cylinder.

I've never worked on bottom-end issues like this before so this is all new territory. Is this a bad rod bearing causing the knock and low compression? If so, would it be possible to replace just the bearing on that connecting rod and expect that the issue would be resolved? Trying to gauge how extensive of a fix this is going to require. I've accepted that I have to pull the motor, but not thrilled about ripping it apart completely. Any thoughts welcome. If this is too tech for general, no prob to move it over.

Thanks for any input!

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.