TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Bypass of FPCM prevents car cutting out...
People Seeking Info

Subject Bypass of FPCM prevents car cutting out...

Posted by thumper300zx on February 21, 2020 at 10:34 PM
  This message has been viewed 337 times.

Message The car would cut out, but I could start it again quickly. Other times it takes a minute. It was getting progressively more common. It also got to where once I cut out during a drive, it would do it again and again during that drive.

I recently replaced my TT fuel pump (threads a few pages back).

Car felt great. I'm convinced my original pump has been weak for 60K+ (now at 137k).

BUT...the car still cut out a couple times.

I recently bypassed the fuel pump control module. It has not cut out since. I've driven several back and forths to work in the last two weeks (had a clutch slave hose fail though, so always something fun!)

I now pulled the FPCM and took off the covers. Except for the very slightest yellow-ish glaze around the solder joints of the transistors, I cannot smell or see anything visually wrong. No gooey components, no burn marks, no loose solder joints, no breaks. The base of the largest capacitor looks a little funny, but it more looks like a dark band near the bottom rather than leakage.

Having no cutting out after bypassing I have to think it's the FPCM. Any other thoughts? Is non-visible failure common? Should I just replace the transistors anyway?

Thanks for any help. I will post photos of the board when I have better lighting.

VISIT thumper300zx.com for PICS and TECH PAGES

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.