TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Re: Horn not working 91na
People Seeking Info

Subject Re: Horn not working 91na

Posted by MyBlueZ on February 07, 2020 at 4:46 PM
  This message has been viewed 363 times.

In Reply To Horn not working 91na posted by Potacka on February 07, 2020 at 01:42 PM

Message Stuff like this always drives me batty, but I like trying to figure it out. Call me crazy.

I took a look at the horn wiring diagram (page 89 of the Electrical section of the FSM) and it looks like the horn switch in the steering wheel grounds the connection to the relay which in turn should trip the relay to take battery power through the fuse box and send it on to the horns.

When you say the horn works if you put battery power on terminal 3, are you actually pressing the horn button on the steering wheel, or just hearing the horn sound when you placed the power on the terminal? I would think the latter -- the horns themselves are grounded so you completed the circuit by bypassing the relay and the fuse.

I would guess you have a bad ground/connection somewhere in the horn switch to relay circuit. I'd lean towards the switch itself just because someone has been pressing on it regularly for 30 years at this point. But it could certainly be a break somewhere in the harness between the steering column and the relay box. Checking continuity between the horn switch and terminal 1 of the relay would be important I think.

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.