TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Rear main seal leak, as seen out the trans weep hole
People Seeking Info

Subject Rear main seal leak, as seen out the trans weep hole

Posted by JMartz on December 02, 2019 at 8:19 AM
  This message has been viewed 450 times.

Message Nissan has redesigned the rear crankshaft seal. It is now somewhat thinner (about an 1/8 of an inch), allowing placement of the seal deeper into the crank, so it can rub on a virgin surface.

Then there is the rear pan seal. This pesky part; and its front counterpart, are intended to be installed before the pan. This is most unfortunate, as removing the engine, to remove the pan, for a single leak is is really not a practical procedure.

I replaced both rear seals when I installed a new '98 trans. While before a had a small leak, my seal replacement job resulted in a big old drip puddle under the car. After several months I have regained my composure and I am back in there. The carrier, gasket and seals are off and the area has been cleaned.

I noticed that the pan seal was a little twisted on the side of the 1st pin I fitted (to then force the other side down with a tool and fit the carrier on to the opposite side pin.). This time I will attempt to lubricate that area and the seal. Hopefully it will slide in w/o twisting.

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.