TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Follow-up
People Seeking Info

Subject Follow-up

Posted by RomChip200 on October 31, 2019 at 5:34 AM
  This message has been viewed 233 times.

In Reply To Silicone fluorine oil cooler feed hose after one year ! posted by RomChip200 on October 30, 2019 at 07:55 AM

Message I cut the the hose lengthwise to check visually the internal layer (I suspected some split when looking through the hose section)
These 3-ply or 4-ply silicone hoses are often rated at 200psi burst, looks like not this one ...
The fluoro internal liner is there to prevent the silicone from sweating, once it fails, the silicone sweats oil like hell.
Maybe it's a factory defect, maybe not and maybe this hose failed because it was the weakest in the feed path of the oil cooler (feed path has 2 silicone hoses in series: filter tree-silicone-metal-silicone-oil cooler)

I detected the regulator valve is weak on my filter tree, basically the oil cooler pressure follows more or less the engine oil pressure.
This regulator valve is aimed to open @50-60psi.As the oil pump pulses according to rpm, this hose also pulsed according to pressure and failed. I think hot oil (110°C) + 60psi @3000rpm shortened its life
BUT:
The oil cooler hoses see some pressure when engine is cold:
cold oil: 80-90psi is encountered
60°C oil: I measured 25-30 psi, normal...
engine warmed-up, 80°C oil: must be above 15psi

My oil filter is not clogged and the bypass valves are in perfect condition in the filter tree.

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.