TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Wall looks Stressed..
People Seeking Info

Subject Wall looks Stressed..

Posted by Cjw3 on July 24, 2019 at 5:57 PM
  This message has been viewed 213 times.

In Reply To Best I can do with this cheap scope, stock 96 w/ 45k miles posted by nelso419 on July 24, 2019 at 04:43 PM

Message Does the Engine Smoke?.. Not sure what you can do about what we are seeing.. Other than a teardown..

My concern is if the Compression Rings are stuck in the grove because the Piston head has Compressed down in the hot zones.. If that has happened, the rings will not float, and will scratch the bore.. I can't tell if that has happened yet.. Likely nothing more than Scratches and increased Blow-by will occure.. with increased smoking as the scratches get deeper and the oil starts sneeking by the Rings..

If this is your Baby.. I'd Take the heads off, and have a look at the Bores and Pistons.. If it's just a Car, I'd run it till you start seeing smoking out the pipe and Oil Filler..

NOTE:.. IF the rings are stuck in the Piston.. and you start to get more Scratching ( With Smoking ) a Bore will be required.. IF you don't have Scratching yet, and the rings are stuck in the Pistons, LIKELY a Minor dressing of the Piston Ring Lands, followed by a Hone and new Rings will keep the Bores in good shape.. But with all the Costs involved with Rings, Gasketts/Bearings your still in the ~+2k$ range

Cj

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.