TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Issues with starting...
People Seeking Info

Subject Issues with starting...

Posted by DrVolkl on May 24, 2019 at 12:02 PM
  This message has been viewed 310 times.

Message Recently purchased a 1993 Z32 TT... completely stock one owner car, 100k miles. So after a few weeks of ownership the car started having issues with starting. I'd turn the key and nothing.. doesn't crank/turn over just nothing. The clock and climate control go black and that's it. If I turn on/off the car a random amount of times suddenly it will work and the car fires right up.

Now, I replaced the starter relay a few weeks ago and this seemed to fix the problem... car was firing right up! This lasted about two weeks... then suddenly the symptom came back... but was only one try and then it fired up... ok.. freak occurrence, then it happened again but it took 5 tries to get it to fire up... uh oh... then yesterday it took me almost 20.

Can't imagine the starter relay would be dead after a few weeks... is there something else I'm missing? Do I need to take out the stock security system relay? Is that possibly messing with the system? The dash lights all come on, etc, just no juice to the starter.. as if there's a short.... but why would the starter relay solve this only to not work again after such a short time?? I have another one ($19 part)... I can't imagine it's a faulty part... but I'll try again if there's no other explanation.

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.