TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Re: High Fuel Pressure
People Seeking Info

Subject Re: High Fuel Pressure

Posted by bentotdagr3at on April 15, 2019 at 8:37 PM
  This message has been viewed 208 times.

In Reply To High Fuel Pressure posted by bentotdagr3at on April 14, 2019 at 09:45 AM

Message Ok as promised, I was able to troubleshoot and fix my issue.

So I bought some 5/16" ID and 3/8" ID high pressure fuel hose so I can run some fuel to a gas jug.
Took the line off that's connected to my Tomei regulator return side, which is plumbed with a barb, to connect the 5/16" fuel hose going to a gas jug.
Primed the fuel pump and it primed at 40psi compared to 44psi from before, so obviously something is kinked or clogged. Could also be just the length of the line plus friction that caused the extra 4psi. I know nothing is kinked since I just gave the lines a once over a week ago. I also forgot to mention that as soon as I turn the car off, my gauge would drop to 20 psi right away.

Since I already had the 5/16" line hooked up to the regulator, I just went ahead and cut it to length just to replace the old line that's connected to the factory fuel return hard line. I also went ahead and replaced the hose after the filter that goes to the hard line then to the damper, since I was already in there.

I then proceeded to scratch my head as I didn't really change anything except 2 feet of hose. Buttoned it all up and primed the fuel pump again and my gauge now shows 40 psi again. So I decided to start the vehicle and see if the fuel pressure will show a drop. Lo and behold, the gauge showed 32 psi and the car idled differently. So I pinched the vacuum line to the regulator to see if it would jump and it did to about 40 psi. So I adjusted the regulator until it was sitting at about 44 psi with the vacuum line pinched. As soon as I let go off the vacuum line the gauge showed 36 psi. Let the car idle some more and blipped the throttle a few times and the fuel gauge would show a rise in pressure.

So to conclude, I checked the hose from the regulator to the factory retun hard line and there was a piece lifted on the inside of the hose that I'm guessing was cut when the old hose was installed by the previous owner. Not sure how but it was there. It acted like a flap that was enough to restrict the flow going back to the return line, hence giving me a higher pressure reading.

Drove the car for a bit and rechecked everything and it now holds steady at 36 psi at idle and seems to run at 14.0-14.8 on the wideband. I also checked the pressure after turning the car off and it showed 40 psi and holding. I think the small piece of rubber flap actually raised the pressure on the supply side and reduced the flow on the return side that's why it showed a drop right away after turning the pump off.

Hope this will help another individual down the road. The solution was so simple to oversee. That or I just got lucky.

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.