TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Years ago I took the tips off my OEM exhaust and transferred
People Seeking Info

Subject Years ago I took the tips off my OEM exhaust and transferred

Posted by jzack on March 21, 2018 at 10:50 AM
  This message has been viewed 268 times.

In Reply To OEM Exhaust Tips posted by nelso419 on March 21, 2018 at 09:34 AM

Message to new mufflers without much issue. Pretty sure I drilled out the set screws since they were all rusted and used a propane torch to heat the tips a bit -- twisted them some and off they came. I remember thinking this wasn't bad at all (and prior to my ownership the car had seen some winter salt road driving over 12 years).

BTW - my tips cleaned up really nicely too. Very gunked up with road tars and other baked on crap. Used a bug/tar spray then chrome cleaner along with a cloth buffing wheel on my drill.

For the mufflers - brake cleaner should work well. Might have to use a nylon bristle wheel (on drill) to get off baked on gunk. When done hit with high temperature satin black engine and brake paint. Satin works better than flat - stays cleaner and looks just fine.

Kind of surprised your OEM mufflers are still useable after all these years? Mufflers often rust from the inside out due to exhaust moisture inside...

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.