TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - New Alternator and Battery still not Charging
People Seeking Info

Subject New Alternator and Battery still not Charging

Posted by TheKryptKeeper on October 15, 2017 at 6:57 PM
  This message has been viewed 352 times.

Message I posted some questions a while ago about this, but hadn't checked voltages yet. At this point, I may as well start again.

My 91 300zx TT doesn't charge. At this point I have a new optima, have put the battery back in the engine bay (from the trunk) and had my alternator professionally rebuilt, and had it tested. (I know everyone's first thought is buy a new alternator, but I was even told that the alternator tested good when they took it in, but I had it re dipped and cleaned up and rebuilt anyways)

Today I got around to measuring voltages to determine if it is my alternator harness that is only 5 years old. When I unplug the large-gauge wires behind the passenger headlight (one blue and one black 2 wire plugs) and measure voltage from there I get battery voltage on 3 and ground on one from the car side of the connector. With the car running, I get 17.7v from the alternator side of the harness.

On the alternator with the car in the "on" position, I get battery voltage on wire at the 3 oclock position on the back of the alternator, ground on the 9 oclock wire. On the body side of the 2 wire harness going into the alternator, I have battery voltage on one wire, and slightly less (11.6v) on the other wire.

The fusible link ohms out ok, and if it is significant, I do not have any lights on my dash for the battery.

Please, please help. I am dead in the water here.

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.