TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Recommend not messing with factory machine work
People Seeking Info

Subject Recommend not messing with factory machine work

Posted by Doug71zt(CAN) on May 04, 2017 at 7:05 PM
  This message has been viewed 501 times.

In Reply To Re: Connecting rod information please posted by 1308cats on May 02, 2017 at 05:56 PM

Message if you can avoid it. Measure rods for BE out of round, measure crank journals, measure block bearing bores.
Chances are, you will not need all the machine work, the quality of which can greatly vary by who does the work.
If the OEM bearings that came out had normal wear patterns, you know that everything is straight in the bottom end.
OEM select fit bearings are not uncommon for foreign engines, to account for production machining tolerance stack-up. A better system than a lot of domestic production engines that are thrown together.
Personally, I use OEM Nissan for stock-ish rebuilds and Clevite 77 for higher performance builds. You will likely end up with clearances on the high side with any aftermarket bearing set. That's been my experience anyhow. I've got a set of ACL +.001 main and rod bearings on the shelf as I've never had a problem with tight clearances.

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.