TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Removing Rear hubs at the Salvage Yard
People Seeking Info

Subject Removing Rear hubs at the Salvage Yard

Posted by teknodude on April 06, 2017 at 12:38 AM
  This message has been viewed 370 times.

Message Anyone have a better method to get the rear 36mm axle nut loose with no impact wrench, rear brake calipers, and car already raised off the ground?

I was at the salvage yard and pulled the front and rear hubs. The fronts weren’t a problem, but the rears were a series pain due to the 36mm axle nut. In the end, I did get the rears hubs out; however I didn’t like the method I used to get them.

The car had gotten to the salvage yard sometime Monday, so I got there the next day with the intent of removing the rear 36mm nut by engaging the ebrake and/or inserting a screwdriver into the rotor channels to stop the hub from rotating. When I get there, the front and rear calipers were gone.

Now my options for the rear hubs were to give up, find a cordless impact, or improvise.

I decided to improvise, so my immediate thought was to hack up the rear hub . By jacking the hub a little, the hub shouldn’t rotate. I checked around some cars, but recalled that the yard doesn’t allow jacks.

What I did next was knocking out one of the rear wheel studs and reversing it around to use as a wedge. With the stud the reversed, I rotated the hub until the stud seemed to wedge/snag tightly onto some component of the parking drum brake assembly. I used about 1.5’ breaker bar and a 5’ pipe to break the break the nut loose.

What I don’t like about this method is that I could have wallowed out the hub hole holes by using the stud as a wedge. Luckily the stud hole was fine as the 36mm nut wasn’t rusted onto the spindle.

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.