TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Clunking is generally related to CVs or wear in the
People Seeking Info

Subject Clunking is generally related to CVs or wear in the

Posted by JMartz on February 17, 2017 at 12:43 PM
  This message has been viewed 172 times.

In Reply To Re: The differential is mounted to the subframe or posted by Smokiedabear on February 17, 2017 at 10:21 AM

Message differential. You could take the diff pumpkin out and adjust the gap between the pinion and ring. There is an involved but followable procedure to do this. It consists of using a magnetic mount indicator, shims and a color grease. Some seals and washers and a press may also be needed if you have to mess with the pinion gear.

As to the axles, I think those would need to be replaced if the CV joints are worn. My car does not clunk but the shift column moves more that i would like on throttle off/on; say in 1st or 2nd gear. That is what I am trying to correct. I do have a one piece shaft and a nismo trans mount to install to see what those will do.

Oh.., yes; worn u-joints can also cause slop and clunking but as I remember, a bad u-joint usually makes an incessant repetitive noise.

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.