TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Idle Case Study
People Seeking Info

Subject Idle Case Study

Posted by JMartz on February 01, 2017 at 6:55 PM
  This message has been viewed 351 times.

Message So my car sits 3 years with occasional round the block runs. No registration was possible w/o an emission test. With not cats it would have failed. Finally the time came when no test was required. Near the end of the period it developed a misfire. After going through the entire electrical system, the problem turned out to be a bad plug.

After new plugs idle stayed at 900. Checked the TPS (.44V) and the timing (15 BTDC). Both within spec. Proceeded to adjust the idle according to specified procedure. Could set RPM to 700 but the moment the IACV was engaged, idle went up to 900. The car had been driven and had definitely reached normal operating temperature. WTF?

After being stumped for a day, I read on the internet that the ECU sets the idle RPM according to the water temperature. That needs to reach 158F before 700 is reached. The idle RPM will also rise if higher temperature values are attained.

I went and touched the connector and the idle came down to 750 RPM but the e-fan went on and never stopped. Going to check the temperature/resistance values for the ECU temp sensor but there is little doubt the sensor is not telling the ECU the truth.

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.