TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Due to age the seals can be stubborn to remove. I like to
People Seeking Info

Subject Due to age the seals can be stubborn to remove. I like to

Posted by jzack on November 25, 2016 at 9:50 AM
  This message has been viewed 296 times.

In Reply To Okay posted by white22sky on November 25, 2016 at 07:55 AM

Message use a small flat head screw driver to dimple the seals a bit first, then squirt in some WD-40 as lubrication. Dimpling the seal edge also reduces the amount of seal area making contact (i.e., less resistance fighting the pull out).

I do the dimpling with a small blow hammer and metric (1.5 mm or so) screw driver at the seals outer edge 10 and 2 o'clock positions. You are pushing against the seals outer edge ring so there's no worries about scratching something. A few blows and you'll see the seals edge deform, spray your WD-40 there. Practice using the old seal you removed to get a feel for how it deforms.

The nice thing about dimpling the seal edge, also gives an entry place for a screw driver blade to pry the seal out. Just be careful when doing, don't want to mess up the out metal engine surface where the seals edge makes contacts ( don't worry, it's pretty hard to mess it up - just mentioning to be aware)

For the scratched CAM, hopefully it can be polished out. Use a fine grit polishing cloth. I'd first try 1000 grit. Can always go down to 800 then finish with 1000 if a deeper polishing is needed.

As posted above, a seal puller does make this job a lot easier but sometimes you don't have one handy.

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.