TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Re: bypass and use walbro 485
People Seeking Info

Subject Re: bypass and use walbro 485

Posted by kickerzx on November 20, 2016 at 9:15 AM
  This message has been viewed 625 times.

In Reply To bypass and use walbro 485 posted by dfenton2 on November 19, 2016 at 11:39 AM

Message I see that my posts in the General section did not get through at all so ill go a little deeper this time.
The following is something i wrote on a different forum and i just copy-pasted it here.

"This is a log of my own car.
I have an Aeromotive a1000 regulator on it.
300* rail, Nismo 740`s.
Stock feed line up to the stock fuelfilter and stock returnline from the regulator.
I have one 485 pump regualate via PWM and a 255 pump coming on via a regular relay. My base fuelpressure as set at idle, Vacuumline disconnected and 485 pump running at 35% dutycycle is 310 kpa.
That should cover it i think..

photo Fuel pressure graph.jpg

Now, as pr graph before i mash the throttle my DFP (differential fuel pressure) sits at 310 kpa. I am cruising at this point
Fuel pressure is at 270 kpa. Boost is representated as "efficiency calculation" in my setup. Its boosting up to 260 kpa in this log.
When i mash the throttle you can see that the fuelpressure is climbing. However the DPF is dropping all the way to 280 when i let go of the throttle. This is because of my stock feedlines. They cant flow enough to keep the pressure up.
This is something i know of and it is consistent and possible to tune around.
Also sinse i have a propper ecu it is compensating for my fuelpressure as can be seen at the white bottom graph. You can also see where my second pump comes on and off in that section.
Now this grapf is what is should look like (exept the dropping DFP) and you can see that fuelpressure can still climb even though DFP drops!

Next graph!

photo Early pumps_1.jpg

Here i have the 485 pump at full tilt at the marker. You can also see where pump 2 comes in. This is a log i made a while ago for demonstration.
This run in my low power map and it was only at 180kpa (0.8 bar) boost so not completly comparable to the other graph.
At the marker DFP is 331 kpa. it have rised 20 kpa compared to the other log. This is because pump is overrunning my returnlines and possibly my aeromotive regulator.
Where i let go of the throttle DFP is 300 kpa and fuel pressure is 379.
Also at this log you can see that raw fuelpressure does NOT drop of at all. But my DFP is. DFP should really stay a flat line when all is up to par.
And again my FP compensation is here to save the day so my afr`s stay where they should.
Ignore my lambda values. Both my sensors were stuffed at those logs.

All this is with my Aeromotive regulator. Imagine it with the stock regulator instead."

Now the original poster on the other forum said he had installed a 485 pump and now experienced to high fuelpressure. He had 49psi fuelpressure at idle and about 61psi on boost (9 psi) What his vacuum at idle is i dont know but at boost he is 8.5 psi over what the FP should be (43.5 + 9 = 52.5 psi. 61 - 52.5 = 8.5)
This is with his stock FPCU still hooked up! Everything but the pump was stock infact. Imagine it with full 14v at idle.

Not to answer the OP in THIS thread.
The 485 pump will burn up your stock fuelpump controller cause it draws to much amps for it.
The Ash`z unit is upgraded to run higher amps and will cope well with the 485. However the stock wiring is also a bottleneck and will limit the pump and get hot. They are simply to small.
So my advise is either buy Ash`s unit (or the other upgraded unit someone here does. I forget who.) and upgrade the wires to and from the FPCU. Or get a PROPPER aftermarket ecu that can PWM your fuelpump and switch out the FPCU with a Solid State Realy. Still need to upgrade wires...

Wiring directly to battery (via relay) isnt really a great option.

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.