TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - TT / NA Transmission Bellhousing swap (potential issues)
People Seeking Info

Subject TT / NA Transmission Bellhousing swap (potential issues)

Posted by 604Zed on November 07, 2016 at 3:54 PM
  This message has been viewed 1413 times.

Message Hello guys. I have a NA Z32. We did a Auto to NA manual transmission swap, but the NA manual transmission bought... has a faulty bearing noise and leaks some. (scammed:(

My hobby mechanic and I came across a good deal on a JDM TT manual transmission. We want to put the TT transmission in my NA car. We want to keep the expense of the upgraded NA flywheel & NA clutch. Rather than shaving off an 1/8" on the TT starter mount of the TT trans, we think it's too risky to get it perfectly flat and uniform with a grinder in a driveway. We were going to attempt to swap the front portion of the bell housings instead. Swap the bell housing from my faulty NA transmission, over to the Twin Turbo, JDM, low mileage, manual transmission.

My question and concern is... will the bell housings just slide off along the shaft without issue. Leaving behind all gear box components (bearings, Scyros, etc). And nothing springing or falling out... Or are there any bearings pressed or in bedded into the front portions of the bell housings... (if bearings are pressed or in bedded into the front portions of the bell housings, this means switching front bell housings would be potentially useless. As not knowing what bearing is faulty.

What's the best way to position the transmissions to do such a swap (bell on the ground and vertically up and down, or done on it's side, horizontally). We observed we are probably going to need a front, main seal gasket when putting it back together. Also there are 2 seals with a spacer where the front and back bell housings bolt together. Are there gaskets needed here too, or would this be done by liquid gasket? Has anyone ever attempted this, or know what we one should expect once we starting unbolting to separate the bell housings.

As mentioned, we could also mill off 1/8" from the starter mount on the outside of the TT bell housing of transmission. Is this the best way to go. I was told this would need to be done so the starter properly engages the NA flywheel. Does one think this might be a safer bet, to have this professionally milled. As opposed to swapping the bell housing? Any advice or experience would be greatly appreciated. I just want to make sure I'm not screwing anything up, and setting myself up for another disaster.

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.