TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - plenum not sealing correctly, gasket surface damaged?
People Seeking Info

Subject plenum not sealing correctly, gasket surface damaged?

Posted by surfer31337 on September 07, 2016 at 7:37 PM
  This message has been viewed 425 times.

Message hi

I did a lot of work on my Z recently, pulled plenum, replaced fuel injectors, EGR delete, coolant lines delete, but i've been having a problem with a vacuum leak every time i put it back together.

the most recent time i reinstalled the plenum, i used studs and a helper to slowly lower it onto the gasket. i thought everything went perfect, but still had the vacuum leak. the symptoms are a low & hunting idle which did not occur before i took the engine apart.

I just took everything apart again and I am wondering if I damaged the gasket mating surface? I used a razor blade to remove the factory gasket, then my dremel with the scotch brite attachment. i cleaned off all the old material and wiped it with alcohol, it was very clean.

here is what it looked like when i took it off recently. mostly the old gasket was stuck to the plenum in 90% of the area but in one of the pictures, you can see it wasn't stuck down, just kind of hanging in one area. not sure if that happened during the removal or if it never seated properly.

take a look at these photos and tell me what you think. i was considering taking the upper plenum to a machine shop and asking them to fix the surface. do you think i should? what would i ask for specifically? or any other ideas for me?

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.