TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - I'd pull the engine and do it while it's on a stand, I can't
People Seeking Info

Subject I'd pull the engine and do it while it's on a stand, I can't

Posted by Tanley (ATL) on August 25, 2016 at 12:01 PM
  This message has been viewed 215 times.

In Reply To Just doing bearings? posted by BlackholeZ on August 24, 2016 at 11:34 AM

Message imagine doing that job from the bottom. The bearing grades are stamped on the crank counter weight like you said. When you are in there you can inspect the crank and mic it to verify it's within spec. and check the clearances when you replace the bearings. If you find the crank to be out of spec. or significantly damaged, at least the engines already out and you can go from there. Would suck to do all that work to drop the pan and find that just replacing the bearings isn't an option. You'll need a good mic to check the crank and bearings, look at the difference between the grades, not much. Also, verify the new bearings with your mic, they could mistakenly put the wrong grade in the wrong box from the factory. I made a post asking about how to correctly set the thrust bearing and got a great answer from an expert, check it out. Make sure you do that.

Lastly, what makes you think it's the bearings? How's your oil pressure? Did you put a stethoscope on the pan to verify?

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.