TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Main bearing clearance questions
People Seeking Info

Subject Main bearing clearance questions

Posted by Placuch on August 19, 2016 at 5:46 PM
  This message has been viewed 1309 times.

Message The story:
Since my current engine is very tired at this point, a few months ago I bought another short block. My plans are to build another engine on the side and when the original is done just swap them. The history given to me on the short block at purchase was that it was rebuilt and used for only a few thousand miles after and then something went wrong with the heads. After that the engine was given away to the guy I bought it from. I tried to ask for details on what went wrong but the seller did not know.
Recently I got around to checking it. The block was bored, it has new Wiseco pistons 87.5 mm, new rings (correctly oriented on 2 pistons I pulled), new/recent main and rod bearings.

The issue:
I used plastigauge to check the bearing clearances. The rod bearings were in spec and all even at about 0.001" to 0.0015". (Spec says 0.0011" to 0.0019"). The main bearings were also in spec but differed slightly. #1 was at 0.0015", #2 and #3 were at 0.002" and #4 was at about 0.001". The spec here says 0.0011" to 0.0022". These are Nissan standard size bearings. I expected the clearances to be much similar and not varying from one end of the spec to the other.

The question:
Is this good enough? Should I do something about it to even it out? Isn't the clearance on the last (rear) main bearing too tight? Maybe I am too concerned and everything is fine as the service limit is 3.5" and I am not anywhere near that.

I would like the thoughts of those of you who have personally rebuilt vg30dett's and and have them running reliably for some time.

Thank you!

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.