TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Oh boy...
People Seeking Info

Subject Oh boy...

Posted by -Grimm- on July 20, 2016 at 10:35 AM
  This message has been viewed 482 times.

In Reply To Re: This should get you started... posted by Alooshi on July 19, 2016 at 11:31 PM

Message A 'reputable machine shop' that builds drag engines, big three engines?

I took my Z heads to one of those machine shops locally. They rebuilt the heads and destroyed them. I had to scrap them and buy new heads. Something as simple as a valve job on a Z engine they couldnt handle, valves wouldnt close all the way and the only cure was to replace the seats (which costs nearly as much as new heads)

Anyway, my personal opinions on your questions:

*Race Ported Heads: What does this involve? This would involve some CNC time and blend work, porting the intake and exhaust runners and combustion chamber, valve throat, etc to achieve the best flow across the lift range. Note that higher flow isnt always better, as lower velocity can decrease torque (but you achieve higher peak HP). A good port job would have involved countless hours of experimentation on many sets of identical heads to determine the optimum parameters. Not saying you cant get lucky your first try (your being the shop you choose), but its not likely.

*Jun 66 264/9.5 Cams: Are these available, if not, What Cams are recommended. Is it worth paying extra for Tomei or will JWT's do? I would personally run JWT cams.

*Block Torque Plate Bored/Honed To 88mm: My engine is already at 88 with forged pistons, will going to 90mm make a negative difference? Do your cylinder walls need to be conditioned again beyond a re-hone? If so, depends on your block condition. You will get a tiny amount of extra displacement, but you would have to have your cylinder walls sonic inspected to see if they can handle that much of a bore. If not you can sleeve it or get a new block and get it back to 88.

*Crank Knife Edged/Balanced/Micopolished: What does this involve and is there any reputable place recommended in Florida that has experience doing this? It is just what it sounds like, the counterweights are sharpened to a 'point' shape to reduce wind resistance (of all things) but more importantly rotational inertia. Micropolishing the races helps with oiling and retaining.

*Custom Wiseco Pistons Ceramic Coated
(All Parts Cryotreated And Balanced): Does ceramic coating and cryotreating the parts conflict with each other? Which one do I do first?
No they dont, cryotreating modifies the crystalline structure and (minor) chemistry but is mainly used for heat treated/aged steels. Not sure if it has any major benefit for aluminum. Ceramic coating is just a coat around it that reduces friction and contamination build up, should have some minor effects on heat capability.

*New Oem Oil Pump: Is there a better aftermarket version? No

*Gtx2863r Turbos 3" Intakes: what is the point of going 3" if he only has 2.5" piping to FMIC? Probably referring to the compressor inlet. The larger the inlet pipe the more air can reach the compressor to be processed by the turbo (to an extent)

*I am looking to modify the HKS2530s with GTX2863 cartridges and wheels. Any opinions? Why not stick to an off the shelf turbo kit to save time and money, these companies have already put in the R&D work.

*Z1 58mm Throttlebodies: There are 61mm available. Bigger is better? Are they 61 or RobZ 62 TB's? In this instance bigger would be beneficial.

*Greddy Thermostated Sandwich Plate 10an: Is Nismo thermos a good option? No personal knowledge.

*Sz High Volume Oil Sump: What is another reputable Sump option? BDE

*Id1300cc Injectors: Can I Highflow my 750cc Nismos? Why would you, get the top feeds and save yourself the hassle.

*Will a single automotive fuel pump and aftermarket FPR be okay? If you are trying to get 800+ HP you should use two pumps and a dual pump control scheme.

*Fuel Cooler: Which brand would you recommend? I dont see any major benefits to a fuel cooler. You cant suffer from vapor lock as we run a return system, and the fuel tank isnt going to raise temperature much over ambient at all.

*Mike Smith Manifolds Ceramic Coated I would.

*Hks Twin Power Ignition: Is this really good and proven to work? They can have their benefits, but for an EFI car I would save myself the money.

------------------------------------------------------------------
1992 300ZX NA 5 Sp (Dead)
1990 300ZX NA Auto 2+2 (Dead)
1990 300ZX TT 5 Sp (Stock Turbos) (Est. 400 HP)
1990 300ZX TT 5 Sp (GT600R) (Est. 600 HP)
2004 G35 Sport 6MT (DD)
2008 Honda Civic (DD)
2014 Nissan Murano (DD)
1969 Chevy C10 (Toy)
1969 Chevelle (Toy)

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.