TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Rear end grind at low speed help!!!
People Seeking Info

Subject Rear end grind at low speed help!!!

Posted by The Vandal King on July 14, 2016 at 12:28 PM
  This message has been viewed 236 times.

Message I have a 91 300ZX TT 5sp and I cannot figure where this is coming from. What I know so far, it only happens after driving for about 20 miles, some spirited driving. If the car sits and cools off for a few hours it goes away but eventually comes back. There is a rubbing/grinding sound only while turning and in gear from about 35-75 degree wheel turn, left or right. After 15 mph there is no "grind" sound during a turn. It only happens while in gear, in neutral the "grind" is not present while turning.

History, Only owned the car a few weeks only noticed the grind after driving the car home (2hour ride)...I have since had the 120k service completed and a tune up, also the front tension rods replaced. I also had the rear pinion seal replaced and had the shop do a differential fluid flush. The idea behind the flush was that maybe the wrong weight of fluid was put in the diff. We thought it could be the rear axle bearings, but up on a lift showed no signs of this and it wouldn't matter if the car is in gear. The CV boots all are intact. The only thing I can think of is the HIKAS acting up? or something really wrong with the differential. I am just scratching my head on this one.

The car has some mods that I found out after the fact, it is running a JWT ECU POP Charger with dual intakes and custom 2.5in cat back exhaust. s-afc is installed as well, from what read, this is a very reasonable set-up. Car is running 13.5psi per the ecu installed. And with it only doing this after extending driving and in gear, I'm unable to set it up to recreate it that I can hear it in my garage..

edit:: Thanks for any help, even if it's use the search, problem with search is that grind is such a general term, that I have read everything from xmission questions to body work...

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.