TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Desperate - Tail light, Gauge Light and Park Light Issue
People Seeking Info

Subject Desperate - Tail light, Gauge Light and Park Light Issue

Posted by kerruptz on July 11, 2016 at 8:28 AM
  This message has been viewed 403 times.

Message Hi all,

1990 Nissan 300zx 2+2. First of all I have tried search and no luck just yet for my specific problem. I'm stumped and need the experts to chime in please. Here is the scenario:

- found out my brake lights were not lighting up the other day when my head lights were fully on (all other lights including indicators, low beams, high beams, fog lights, park lights on front and rear side bumper and brake lights when you depress the brake pedal were working); by brake lights not working I mean they would not light up when the headlights were on - they do light up when I press the brake pedal
- narrowed it down to the infamous green box in the trunk by the driver side tail light
- mine was corroded inside and half the resistors had fallen off, so I bypassed it by soldering pins 4 and 5 and 2 to 7 and 8 as several posts in search advised
- this fixed the problem and all was well for everything
- took the car home and then had an odd issue with the headlight switch when I was about to turn the car off; it has 3 settings I'll refer to as off, park lights on, full headlights on; it appeared the switch was "stuck"; couldn't turn it down all 3 to off; checked forum couldn't find anyone with a similar issue so after checking all fuses (in the engine bay, relays by the battery, fuse box by the driver's foot well), I opened up the pod and switch, took it apart, got it to turn again and put it back together; headlight swtich is all good now and turns all 3 positions and the entire pod is fine and always was(confirmed by trying defrost buttons, cruise
button etc)
- now here is the latest issue - since the headlight switch issue happened (right before and after the headlight fix) - my park lights on the front and rear side of the bumper and gauge light (only behind the gauges) and my tail lights are NOT lighting at all; brake lights work when the brake pedal is depressed; turn signals are fine; fogs are fine; low beams are fine; high beams are fine; even day time running lights (I'm in Toronto) are fine
- I'm sure the brake lights not lighting when the headlights are on could be related to the stop light sensor bypass I did; I'm going to re-solder and try it again however what would cause the issue with the gauge light and park lights?
- also trying to get a good stop light sensor to swap in - unfortunately a new one is over $140 from Nissan on special order only and could take weeks to come in
- I've checked all fuses under the hood, relays under the hood by the battery, the illumination fuse by the driver's footwell
- search said it was the illumination fuse for others but I replaced that and it had no affect
- not sure whats left and what I'm missing

Thoughts sincerely appreciated! Can't drive my Z at night like this - help please!

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.