TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - engine on at idle alt should give 14+ volts. Go have >>
People Seeking Info

Subject engine on at idle alt should give 14+ volts. Go have >>

Posted by ZUL8TR on June 19, 2016 at 3:39 AM
  This message has been viewed 262 times.

In Reply To Alternator? posted by tjudgeiii on June 19, 2016 at 12:26 AM

Message your charging system checked. You could very possibly have an alt going bad (diodes typically go). The experience you had driving at night might not be a good indication of good or bad alt. Maybe your batt is holding out by receiving some small charge from the alt?

What are the condition of your grounds and batt connections, nice and clean. Tip: remove batt cables clean shiny bright the posts and cable attachment ends. Swab posts and cable attachment holes with dielectric grease. Prevents internal arching inside connections.

Be careful with replacement alts. Alts at Jobbers are typically reman units which are usually better than rebuilt. However, I have never had good luck with jobber alts probably because there are different degrees of reman and they are usually done outside the US with cheaper parts. If you go with a jobber at least find one that gives lifetime replacement (AutoZone does but check). There is an alt manufacturing shop here in Orlando where I get my alts, they do a very complete reman with excellent bearings and diodes which were the culprits with my alt problems until I found this shop.

There is always the Nissan OEM but not sure what they use and warranty and COST. Your call.

ZUL8TR in Orlando,FL

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.