TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - RESOLVED??? Sort of...
People Seeking Info

Subject RESOLVED??? Sort of...

Posted by BCs300z on June 18, 2016 at 5:14 AM
  This message has been viewed 269 times.

In Reply To Tach stopped working after auto to 5speed conversion posted by BCs300z on June 15, 2016 at 02:35 PM

Message So, i the course of troubleshooting this problem I have tried a couple things. Granted, none of them are suggested in the FSM, nor does the schematics of the gauge cluster system point to any of these things being a culprit. But I happen to have a lot of extra stuff around, so I thought that I would try a couple logical things (to me).

1) I changed the ECU, from the Auto to an NA ECU that I had laying around - no change
2) I changed out the CAS - no change
3) I cleaned the PTU connections again and applied dielectric grease - no change
4) I cut out the old PTU connectors and wired in the new PTU sub harness as a permanent thing - no change
5) I wired the ECU, (straight from pin7) to the this input of the tach on the cluster (pin23) - nothing
6) went for a drive... car ran like crap. Was stuttering bad at initial throttle from stop. pretty sure the ECU may be the reason.
7) changed ECU back to Auto, and changed CAS back to original (the one I installed after the swap) - no change but the car was back to purring like a little kitten.
8) went for another drive... when all of the sudden... I went over a speed bump and the damn tach started working... sort of.

It is fluttering a bit. It gets steady, then flutters, it looks hosed. So yeah, weird. Seems the issue was the tach itself. I have another cluster laying around, but it's a 90 cluster and the rear connections are different. So I guess I will worry about it someday soon.

Thanks for any feedback and brain power you lent to this issue. Hope this helps someone in the future.

LaterZ,
BCs300z

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.