TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Songs of a sick Z (Mystery sounds inside!)
People Seeking Info

Subject Songs of a sick Z (Mystery sounds inside!)

Posted by Stokens (AR) on May 02, 2016 at 11:20 AM
  This message has been viewed 456 times.

Message So, the most recent ZCar project has been to pull the engine, replace all the old stuff, and put in a fancy new wiring harness. After a year of piddling with it, I finally got it going. On a Friday night, the car came to life on the second key turn! Saturday: drove it to a car show about 30 miles away, then Sunday: drove it around the lake the next day (3+ hour trip, and high speeds!)

Thursday I drove it to work and it was just fine, but when I started it up on the way home, it wasn't running on all 6 cylinders. Felt like 4, with the 5th one coming and going. The engine was rocking around, sputtering, no power, etc.

Today I went back to the garage to fool with it and this is what I've found:

ECU Code: 13 - Coolant Sensor (Car burped coolant the first couple of times I started it, but never overheated)
- Car dies after the first cold crank (VIDEO: https://youtu.be/AqkKmsorbFE )
- Injectors are all ticking
- Disconnecting coil packs effects engine idle (Cyl 2 made a small difference in idle, unlike the other 5 cylinders that made a bigger difference when disconnected).
- I didn't get the rear main seal done properly last time, so it's leaking . Does the Z have a low oil pressure warning light?

Finally, listen to the revs, hear the rattle? (VIDEO: https://youtu.be/xBSuDrIw8rE )

I'm going to order a new coolant temp sensor. Can anyone help me put this all together? I'm not sure if I'm staring at one problem or multiple problems. I haven't driven it yet today, but it still feels like it's bucking around the engine bay somewhat.

Thanks again for everyone's time.

-- Stokens AR

If I would have known addiction was this expensive
I would have seen a shrink a long time ago. --BadZCar (FL)

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.