TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Well there is good and bad news in there
People Seeking Info

Subject Well there is good and bad news in there

Posted by -Grimm- on March 06, 2016 at 5:49 PM
  This message has been viewed 332 times.

In Reply To Re: Many here have posted by Harrisonperalta on March 06, 2016 at 05:34 PM

Message I wouldn't worry about bearing damage since it sounds like you caught it quickly enough. Unfortunately I would suspect at least one if not both of your heads to be warped.

Do you have a garage and another means of transportation? The first TT head gasket I did, without removing the engine, took me about a week of time after work (2 real hours a day) to get the heads out, and another week at the machine shop (depending on where you go). I took my heads to 'Pearl Performance' in Sacramento the first time around, they did a horrible job and actually trashed my heads. Wish I would have known before I put it all back together and started it...

Second time around, I pulled the engine and had a second set of heads rebuilt by a different machine shop and all was well. Pulling the engine made it way easier, and it actually takes less time to get them off when you have easy access to it.

What I would guide you to do:

-Pull the engine
-Pull the heads, measure the heads and block if you can or take them to a shop to be measured and decked (likely the block will not need to be machined)
-while the heads are being worked on, clean up the engine and engine bay, replace anything that you suspect (water pump is probably a good idea, maybe oil pump if you want to go that far)
-as far as decking the heads, there are limits to what you can do. The FSM recommends no more than 0.008" between both surfaces for valve train geometry. You can do more with an oversized head gasket (MLS gasket). I have put VG30DETTs together with a 0.025" deck when people want without issue. Larger head decking means you risk a repeat warp and also cam binding due to journal misalignment, but it's not impossible.
-get a good full engine gasket kit, minus head gaskets, to put everything back together.

Take your time and make sure you torque everything properly. The head bolts can be reused as they are not TTY. If in doubt you can measure the bolt stretch and neck diameter to ensure they were not over stressed during their life.

------------------------------------------------------------------
1992 300ZX NA 5 Sp (Dead)
1990 300ZX NA Auto 2+2 (Dead)
1990 300ZX TT 5 Sp (Stock Turbos) (Est. 400 HP)
1990 300ZX TT 5 Sp (GT600R) (Est. 600 HP)
2004 G35 Sport 6MT (DD)
2008 Honda Civic (DD)
2014 Nissan Murano (DD)
1969 Chevy C10 (Toy)
1969 Chevelle (Toy)

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.