TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Few things...
People Seeking Info

Subject Few things...

Posted by tiale11 on February 05, 2016 at 5:09 PM
  This message has been viewed 396 times.

In Reply To First start after rebuild guide? posted by schwar74 on February 05, 2016 at 08:44 AM

Message The vacuum trick to prime the oil pump and the motor is not necessary. You can simply pull out all the spark plugs (to reduce load on the motor while priming) and pull out the fuel relay then crank the motor until you see oil coming into the heads, via the engine oil fill hole. 10-15 secs of cranking should be adequate to see oil. If that doesn't work then do the same while pulling vacuum.

Start the car after you see that oil as made it to the heads from the cranking/priming process.

Oil pressure from sandwich plate should be fine.

When I've adjusted timing on my motor, rocking the CAS back and forth did not cause the car to shutdown. The idle changed but the car still idled well. Assuming your timing belt job is good, starting you car up with a slightly incorrect timing shouldn't be a problem. Just try to place the CAS back to where it used to be when the car was running and worry about adjusting timing for when you know things are OK. Remember that your idle needs to be stable and your engine warm even before you can set timing...

I dont know much about the the break-in additive but i would consider following directions form breaking-in cams since you are introducing a new surface to surface combo between the cams and lifters. This cam break-in could also give you the time that you need to listen to your engine for problems, to detect leaks, and to warm your engine up so that you can set the idle and then the timing.

As far as other tips...

Safety first:
1) Make sure you have proper ventilation where you are going to be idling your car.
2) Prime the fuel system a few times then go around the car sniffing for fuel leaks.
3) Keep a fire-extinguisher near by. You will most likely see smoke from around the engine bay since residual oil on the block, turbos, headers, and exhausts will burn off as everything heats up. Expect that to happen, it's normal.

-Have your exhaust on so that you can better hear for engines noises and potential vacuum leaks.
-Remove radiator cap so that air bubbles bleed out (Press on the radiator hoses to help the process)

What is your plan for break-in and oil/filter change interval?

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.