TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - First start after rebuild guide?
People Seeking Info

Subject First start after rebuild guide?

Posted by schwar74 on February 05, 2016 at 8:44 AM
  This message has been viewed 768 times.

Message I'm wondering if anyone has a write up about must follow steps for starting a freshly rebuilt/installed motor for the first time. This is my first rebuild/engine install, and I'm pretty nervous. Its a 90TT auto, basically stock with most vacuum deletes done. I had the block honed, replaced rings and bearings, had the heads/valves checked, and replaced the turbos with good used stock turbos. I also serviced the lifters per Ash's write up.

I have a secondary oil pressure gauge that is coming off a sandwich plate. Is this an ok place to check oil pressure? The stock gauge will be in use as well. I've read the threads on using a vacuum at the oil filter to prime the pump. Any other tips on getting the oil flowing and making sure its flowing?

How long should I crank it before I give it fuel?

I had to pull the CAS and replace it. Is there any chance that the timing is so far off that it'll completely foul things up and keep it from starting? Is there any way to check timing before its running?

How long can I let it idle to check things over before I need to start the break-in? The reading I've done on break-ins says to keep this to a minimum. What's the maximum?

I bought some lucas break in additive. Good idea?

Any other tips/hints/things others have seen go wrong?

Thanks!!!

Scott

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.